Longest lasting tire ever experienced...

Continuing the discussion from TIRE LIFE. What is the longest you have experienced?:

I realize I am resurrecting a very old thread… But I am replacing two tires today that are by far the longest lasting tires I’ve ever seen or heard of.
On my wife’s 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe sport, she still had the original tires from the factory. Kumho City Venture tires at 235/55/19. The current mileage is 164,982.
The weird thing is they still have plenty of tread life and have always performed admirably…
The only reason I am getting rid of them was simply because of the tire’s age…and the fact that I live in Nevada, the sidewalls are beginning to dry out.
It’s almost creepy…doesn’t make a bit of sense…as my wife is a pretty aggressive driver and has always been hard on tires prior to these.
I am replacing them with Kumho Crugen Premium KL33 tires…as Kumho says that’s the closest thing to the original City Ventures.
Has anyone else ever had these city venture tires and found them to last exceptionally long?

Were I a cynical person which, let’s face it, I am, I would suspect someone swapped the tires on you as a joke. I find it hard to believe anyone could get 160k+ out of any tires.

7 Likes

the only way I could imagine for the tire to last that long is to be made from quite abrasive-resistant material… like urethane… but winter performance of that tire would be totally abysmal

hey, wait, OP is in NV, so it would likely fit his use case just fine :slight_smile:

For a tire to last that long, it must have exceptionally hard rubber, which should mean a reduction in traction, perhaps substantial. That’s not a tradeoff I’d like to make on my car.

4 Likes

Factory date codes are not 4 numbers if I recall. They are letters? Like AOXY vs 3219 for example?
So, OP is original owner?
Only 1 great tires? 3 others have been replaced?

[post withdrawn by author]

I don’t doubt you. BUT, I suspect your Santa Fe is either FWD only or AWD with a front wheel bias, AND you never rotated them, AND they were on the rear. You have probably replaced the front tires at least twice.

My trailblazer got 85k miles on a set of michelins, great in the snow etc. was not down th the wear bars.

A fellow down the street has a 1976 VW Rabbit hw inherited from his long dead father and it has the original tires still on it.

Rubber deteriorates over timer and heat and ultra-violet light are its biggest enemies.

Are you saying the other 2 tires are that old also ? Or is this just what Keith suspects that these are the rear tires and the front have been changed several times ? Also I guess you know that is only buying 2 new tires they go on the rear no matter what the vehicle drive function is.

1 Like

My father got 100k miles over 10 years on a set of rear tires on a FWD Buick Skylark. 3 pairs of fronts…ONE pair or rears.

He never rotated them because he was terrible about car maintenance. He never changed them because as he said, “they still have tread on them.”

He complained about how noisy the rear of the car was when he drove it anywhere. It was ALL tire noise. You could not hold a conversation inside the moving car.

He traded the car in on a van with the original tires still on the rear… they never came off, the brakes were never changed, the lug nuts never saw the light of day from under the hubcaps since the day they left the factory.

Know a guy who drives pickup cross country and has 600k miles. He gets 150k per set of tires.

1 Like

My '74 Volvo was a total POS from the day that it was new, but its brake pads and tires were incredibly long-lasting. When I finally dumped that rolling disaster area, it had 76k miles on the odometer, and its Michelin-X tires looked to me like they would have been good for at least another 15k miles–maybe more. The brake pads on all four wheels were still original, too.

With my diesel Olds 88 I got 110,000 once with my Goodyear tires. The casing was still OK. Of course they were 15" wheels and all highway miles.

Fact is… I’m pretty cynical myself and if it had not been my own experience I would never believe it.

1 Like

That’s been the other surprising thing about this… The tires have always performed incredibly well and seemed very grippy.

Actually the date code for tires is four numbers exactly. The first two numbers in the date code is the week and the second two numbers is the year of manufacture.
These tires say 4013… so the 40th week of 2013.

This is my first time posting on here so I’m not really sure what the etiquette is, but I figured I’ll just stop replying to individual comments and just say this…
I have nothing to prove and I don’t really care one way or the other if anybody believes me… but I am the original owner and I have always meticulously rotated my tires…every 7500 to 10,000 miles.
I only changed the rear two tires because the rubber was looking dry and there was some sidewall damage from my wife scrubbing against a curb pretty harshly.
The two front tires are still original…same date as the rear ones were…manufactured on the 40th week of 2013.
All four of these tires lasted 164,000 miles plus. I have no idea how much longer the two front tires will last but they still look good.
Again… I really don’t care if anyone believes me or not… But there has never been any kind of collision or accident in the car where someone might’ve changed the tires without my knowledge…and I have maintained very detailed records and all four tires were original prior to me just changing the rear 2.
My whole point in bringing this up was just the curiosity about these specific tires. You can no longer buy this exact model tire… but I was just curious if anyone else had ever experienced this specific tire and noticed exceptionally long wear.
Kumho did something right with these specific tires… But I’ve never had this kind of tread life on any other Kumho tires…
Or any other tires for that matter.

1 Like

I got 40k out a set of Michelins on my old 1992 T-Bird SC back in the late 90’s. I typically get around 30k-35k out a set of of UHP tires these days. I prefer softer tire compounds.

You have exceeded the life of the front tires also . It is just common sense to have all four tires the same . The new ones will have a different tread pattern and the front ones may not be as good as you think .

All of your posts are seen so you don’t have to answer each one .