Lincoln MKZ for a young professional?

Sorry, but I see this as a classic family sedan look, not a classic luxury car look. To me this iteration never did say “luxury”. It said “mid-level family sedan”.

Except for the trademark grill, the first generation Cadillac Seville looks a lot like a mid-70s Rolls Royce. That doesn’t seem pedestrian to me.

Huh? This was the first gen Seville.

@jtsanders

I can’t agree with your assessment

IMO the first generation Seville looks little like that Rolls Royce

Interesting how 2 guys can look at the same car and see things differently

But I actually like the look of both cars

TSMB - what late '70s mid sized luxury car did you like better?

So who owns Rolls now? Didn’t the British sell it to the Germans?

Yep, BMW

Texases, I cannot think of a late '70s midsized luxury car that floated my boat. That was not a good era for cars. You have to admit, however, that putting “late '70s midsized luxury” really limits the choices. It limits the choices to a category that I don’t care for anyway built during a less-than-stellar era in the automotive industry.

So we both are right - “best of its era” “don’t care for it” :slight_smile:

Texases, do YOU like the first gen Seville? Would you say it evokes images of luxury?

LUXURY is a highly subjective term. I know lots of people who would have considered many of the cars shown above to be luxurious by their standards…

I very much like the first gen Seville, I’m not a fan of big Caddys. I also like the fact it had a state-of-the-art fuel injection on the Olds 350 cid engine, one of the best GM made at the time.

Huh back at you, @“the same mountainbike”. The long hood, fender lines, roof shape, even the rear deck in profile - the 1977 Seville and mid 70s RR have a similar look. Cadillac no doubt borrowed from RR, IMO. The Seville is not a dead ringer for the Rolls like the Hyundai Sonata was for the Accord for a while, but the similarity is there.

Sorry, jt, but I don’t think they look anything alike at all.

At least we can agree that almost all luxury cars of th era were homely. I like the looks of the Jaguar XJ6/XJ12, but maybe as @texases says, it might just be less ugly than the rest.

Can’t agree about ALL luxury cars of the era being “homely”

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I can think of several luxury cars of that era that look very good, in my eyes :smiley:

I agree, db.

With the exception of the era when Ford owned Jaguar and tried to glitz up their Mercury Contour and call it a Jag (nobody was fooled), I’ve always liked the look of Jaguars. And I’ve never seen a RR that didn’t scream “luxury”. The '76 Eldo was absolutely gorgeous (my sister had a '76 Biarritz), and the mid-70s Lincs looked great, especially the Mark IV.

GM unfortunately had a bad habit of putting makeup on cars that really weren’t luxury cars and calling them luxury cars. Fortunately, Cadillac Division has “cut the cord” stylistically and is back to making sharp looking cars.

But I agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The 1970s Cadillaces were too big for me. I am not as fond of the mid-70s cCadillacs, including the Eldorado, as I am of the 1960s and 1950s versions. I’m only discussing how they look in this case. @db4690, which mid-1970s luxury cars do you think are beautiful?

Same here, I’d take the Seville over a '70s Eldorado or Mark.

The first generation Seville?