Lexus dealer: $1,000+ for 60k transmission maintenance. 2023 RX350h

That is entirely possible. When I told the service writer at the Toyota dealership that I wanted the trans fluid in my friend’s Rav changed–at ~40k miles–I actually had an argument with him because he insisted that “it has lifetime fluid”, and that it shouldn’t be touched unless the trans has performance issues.
:smack:

I prevailed, but his resistance was puzzling, to say the least.

Told the same.
Their “lifetime” is life of the transmission until it fails due to not changing the fluid early enough.

If dealer is puzzled for trans service do they actually do it? I know you paid for it. Do techs really dislike doing it and go thru the motions?

Absolutely have the dealer change the transmission fluid, you don’t want to put any part of the warranty at risk on this complex vehicle.

Thank you. Good point!
But I do notrusthem.
I’d need to learn if I can do it correctly. Then I wouldo it more often - if I can even gethe fluid used in CVTransmissions.

From what I can tell, the recommended procedure is a double drain and fill; appears a compatible scan tool is required to command the pump to run between 1st and second fill. That part of the job sounds like it may not be diy’er friendly. Ask your dealership for a copy of the procedure when they aren’t busy. Looks to be just a couple of pages. The worst they can tell you is “no, you have to buy a service- data subscription”.

1 Like

You could always call the parts department for the price, call a few different ones not close to each other to confirm…

Thank you.
Called the parts department. They do not knowhat is used.
One said the same which is used in the 2021 RX350, buthat RX has an eight-speed transmission.

1 Like

The owner’s manual shows “Toyota Genuine ATF WS” (World Standard).

World Standard ATF has been used in most Toyota transmissions during the last 20 years.

“World Standard (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was introduced to reduce maintenance
costs and increase the mileage between scheduled maintenance checks. Here are some important
tips when working with ATF-WS in Toyota vehicles requiring its use.”

MC-10109403-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

3 Likes

Thank you, Nevada.
Replaced World Standard ATF in the 2021 RX350.

Also used in CVTransmissions?

Why the issues about moisture absorption? Would heat not evaporate the moisture?
Thank you.

Moisture won’t escape the transmission case that easily, particularly for those who drive less than 10 miles each trip in cold weather.

1 Like

Modern auto trans are sealed, with perhaps a relief valve, so nothing can go in or out unless pressure builds.
Unlike an engine crankcase, there is no internal source of moisture, so moisture free trans fluid stays that way unless a shaft seal fails.
In the TSB Toyota is saying basically to treat WS fluid similar to brake fluid: don’t expose it to moisture in the air before putting in the transmission.
Also, don’t reuse overflow fluid that has dribbled down the dirty outside of the trans case.

1 Like

From your past posts, and complete misunderstanding of basic mechanical knowledge…I would take it to a professional. You don’t have the skills.

3 Likes

Incorrect. I have the knowledge and skills. But nothequipment if something specialized is needed.
When I do not knowhat is to be done, I learn or do not attempthe task.

I do not want someone - who really does not care - to work on myehicles. (I have seen whathey do and how they do it.)
At 6k since last OCD oil change, motor oil is now draining overnight with filter lubricated and screwed on and oil plug cleaned and oiled to quickly install if an emergency call. New oil premeasured to pour in.

You’re the one that asked if your CVT transmission even has fluid

Here’s what you said

it’s okay to admit you’re not the right person to service the transmission

3 Likes

And lets not forget his insistence that driving 100mpg on tires that are vastly over-inflated is SAFE.

1 Like

131 - according to dash cam video. H rated. Max 51psi
122 - 2023 RX350h. 41psi Tire Pressure Monitoring System readout. V rated. Max 51psi.
(Surprised thathew 21- inch tires are V rated = 149 mph)

Ok to admithat one can change transmission fluid if able!
Still do not knowhathe process is. For $1,000, I’d learn.
The Lexus service person thought World Standard ATF - as used in the 2021 6-speed transmission.
For a CVTransmissson I thought it would be something different.

Thank you for PROVING my point.

1 Like

Just remember that if it is too late for the 2023 Darwin Awards, there is always next year…

3 Likes