Large grilles

I share your concern.

Less glass and more metal adds protection to the driver and passengers of the vehicles, you need a barrier between the delivery truck that may hit your vehicle in a side impact collision and the occupants of the car. Metal structure is also needed to hold the side airbags in place.

Strong pillars are necessary to keep the passenger compartment intact in any collision, not just for roll-over protection.
2015 Datsun Go
The 2015 Datsun Go sold in India

B-pillar failure on a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer

Maybe because we bought a rav4, upgraded from a 2014 kia optima, the rav has normal tires, the kia had low profile I think, but do not have a problem with visibility, throw in the backup camera and blind spot indicators, I probably need to experience what yā€™all experience, but no problem on my end, or side etc.

I read somewhere that during one of those marketing surveys that Dodge was doing that they found out that people are intimidated by large grills. The Dodge Ram at that time looked too friendly so didnā€™t appear as tough as the other trucks. So the next redesign gave the Dodge ram a huge grill and a very sloped windshield, making it go from a Wally Cleaver to Neanderthal look.

1 Like

ā€¦and yet, J.C. Whitney did a pretty brisk business in terms of selling accessory grilles that Corvair owners could add, so that the front of the car didnā€™t lookā€¦ naked.

Itā€™s all about perceptions and preferencesā€¦

1 Like

My friend calls the newer Camryā€™s ā€œPit Bullā€ cars. B/c the front end looks like the face and mouth of a pit bull.

Hereā€™s a large grill that I think we can all appreciate.
untitled

3 Likes

You are right, of course. But the compromise is reduced visibility, and I have to wonder where the point of diminishing returns begins.

1 Like

As the Italians say, what is behind you does not matter. Thatā€™s why the Ferrari and Lamborghini supercars have almost no rear visibility.

LOL, that was a great movie. They donā€™t make comedic movies that good anymore.

1 Like

I agree! OK on that one TSM! Rolls is classic.

Karl

This string should be titled ā€œOld, Grumpy, Car Guys That Donā€™t Like New Thingsā€. LOL. Cā€™mon guys and get with the program. Nothing is ever going to be like it was. If the new styles were that hideous then people would not buy them. Ford learned that lesson with Edsel many years ago and GM learned it with the Aztek more recently (please note that the Aztek might have hastened the demise of Pontiac). Nothing is more important to a car company than sales and, if you donā€™t think they research the heck out of these new designs before rolling them out then you are crazy.

I personally focus on buying the best car that is also as visually appealing as possible. My 2014 Mazda 6 fits the bill. The 2018 has the newer style BUG (Big Ugly Grill) but I will likely buy one next year to get me some Turbo power!!!

1 Like

well. the hurcan does have a rear mounted motor

1 Like

Tail fins came and went. The trend resulted in manufacturers trying to outdo each other and I recall the ridiculous results, most notable the 1959 Plymouth. Will 5 years of gaping grills be enough?

Actually, the 1960 Plymouth had even higher fins than the '59 model, but I think that the best example of wretched excess in that category would be the '59 Cadillac.

But it did seam that Detroit suddenly recognized how stupid their efforts to offer the most outrageous extremes of a trend were and cleaned up their design from the grill to the rear bumper. 1961 Chevrolets had little resemblance to the 1960 models as I recall.

Definitely!
The '61 Plymouths lost their fins entirely, with a very clean, sleek look at the rear of the car.
Now, if only they hadnā€™t given the '61 Plymouths such an ugly face.

Sort of agree. Everyone I know only buys a car when needed due to theirs having become unreliable or changing needs. They create in their mind a ā€œprofileā€ consisting of reliability, utility, and only lastly style. Then they choose from whatā€™s available.

Honestly, I havenā€™t met a whole lot of people that like the new styles, but they buy them anyway because thatā€™s whatā€™s available. Itā€™s analogous to Henry Fordā€™s Model T; you could have any color you wanted as long as it was black.

And I have to comment that calling everyone who disagrees with you as

Probably wonā€™t endear you to a lot of us grumpy old men. Perhaps you should open your mind to different perspectives.

1 Like

My title was meant ā€œtongue in cheekā€, to borrow a turn of phrase. Your response supports the irony. I am an old guy now too and I can be plenty grumpy. However I am very open minded and self-aware enough to know when I am being a grumpy old man. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good enough. :grinning: