Knocking metal noise when slowing down

We recently purchased a (used) 2010 Volkswagen Routan with approximately 40k miles. Almost immediately we noticed a loud noise whenever we began to slow down in city traffic. The noise is loudest after the car has been driven for a while. It sounds like metal knocking around. The dealership claims the brake pads are causing this noise. They said the pads are perfectly good but are two different brands and this is what is causing the sound. I do not believe brake pads would continue to make this noise after 3 months if they were good. I am also not convinced it is the brake pads at all. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
edretsch

I would not believe the pads either. That being said, always replace pads in a set. Could be a bad CV joint. It also could be an exhaust heat shield. Hard to know without hearing it or hearing which end of the car it’s coming from. I had a stone in a heat shield and it made a metal rattling sound. Find yourself a good independent mechanic on the http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechanics-files