Key wont turn in the ignition

Actually I’d love to go to a computer seminar at the senior center, but the folks around here just haven’t offered anything. Things have changed so fast and I have no staff anymore to explain things. Outside of ununderstandable Medicare sessions, and great courses discussions, the good folks there just haven’t done it.

I do not know where you live nor how rural your area is but most libraries offer, as a courtesy, membership to their library if you live in an adjacent county or city. Especially in this day of this “post-Covid” period as the libraries struggle to get the patrons to return.

In this “modern day and age” when so many folk are getting their information and news off the internet, Libraries are struggling to remain relevant. Municipal governments, regretfully, consider libraries “low hanging fruit” to pick when their budgets need tightening.

I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and I use the “Libraries Adjacent municipality membership” to the max. I have memberships in Hampton, Newport News, York County, Williamsburg, and the libraries at the Air Force Base and Army Post…

Besides being able to take advantage every program they offer, I also have access to all the digital databases they offer; Free streaming movies on Hoopla, Kanopy, and Freegal, Science & Technology databases, Genealogy, Financial (Morningstar…), etc…

And to keep this in the realm of automotive (so I am not accuse of high jacking a topic…), there are all the Chilton manuals one could want to research…

As I mentioned, I volunteer at two different libraries and each is in a different city…

So, my final advice is if your library does not offer certain programs, ask them about what other libraries that have agreements with reciprocal memberships… Even if they do not know if they have one or not, check out the adjacent towns, they might still do it for you to drum up membership…

Here is the picture I promised. The top arrow points to the hole that you use when the key will turn. The bottom arrow points to the hole I drilled. I started at 1/8" but ended up hogging it out to 5/16" to find the little plug that has to be pressed to get the lock cylinder out.

2 Likes

But isn’t a BFH the only tool you’ll ever need? :wink:

2 Likes

So, there’s a release button under the casting? And you drill hole in casting to access cylinder? Hmm, sounds semi illegal. But, it’s your car so all is well.
My neighbor is locksmith. I might ask him if he agrees.

illegal?? how?

I don’t have working keys. I don’t have any keys?
You drill out casting? Good tip.
How do I make it easier to steal a car I don’t own? Replace lock cyl? I’d ask if truck in question has chipped keys but I wont

An 07 with 280,000 miles on it would not be a great theft target. Besides Keith is a long term poster here and see no reason to think the action illegal. There is a hole to insert a pin to release the cyl. But if you can’t rotate the cyl enough for the hole to line up, yo simply provide a new access hole to release the cyl. I don’t see a problem.

1 Like

Older vehicles that lack security systems are a target for joy riders and thieves that use vehicles during crimes, trucks are sometimes used to crash through store doors after hours. High mileage in not a deterrent.

Yeah but I don’t think Keith is a joy rider with a stolen vehicle, as was suggested. I’d say the same if someone suggested you were tampering with a vehicle.

1 Like

Sometimes on your personal vehicle you have to do, what you need to do to get the job done. when it is all put back together you will never see the hole.

A good locksmith is what I need now. The new key cylinder came with new keys so now I need to get the door key re-keyed so I can get back to one key truck.

Also the truck does have that GM secure key system that is reputed to be trouble prone. It seems to work with the new cylinder and keys because the truck started right up once I got everything aligned, no security light.

At 280k miles, I doubled it’s value this morning, I filled the gas tank. Also at 280k miles, it is NOT a joy to ride.

1 Like

Who remembers when it was possible to start car engines with a few jumper wires strung in the engine compartment?

1 Like

As us old timers say the good old days. :grinning: :roll_eyes:

If you can get the cylinder(s) out, it is an easy job for a locksmith to swap out the tumblers.

When I bought new door hardware for the house, I just waited for the guy to change the tumblers to match. About 15 minutes at the lumber yard. I had a locksmith change another one too and same story while I waited. Just gotta have the cylinder is all or else they have to take it out.

The owner has agreed to not press charges. :wink:

2 Likes

Takes five seconds or less on TV shows!

A car I have now has 1 really really worn key.
The spare key is much better.
But, it sticks upon removal.
So, I leave it in ignition. In garage.

Do you leave the key in the ignition when you park other places than your garage?

No. It’s my spare car. Drive it a few times each month. I had 4 cars. Down to 2 now.