Key will not rotate in ingition

I have a 1994 Chevy S-10 with 235,000 miles and auto trans/4.3 V6. I have started to notice some difficulty trying to use the key to start. When I rotate the key to start the truck, the key will stop at RUN and not go further to the START position. It will go into the other positions but not the START position. Is this something wrong with the key or need a new lock cylinder? This doesn’t have an airbag. Please advise. Thank you.

I tried using the spare keys and it still wont work. Just additional information. Thanks again!

Well, this pretty much rules out the key, doesn’t it?

The problem is most likely the lock cylinder. They are somewhat prone to failure in this manner. You need to replace it now, while it will still work well enough to get the cylinder out of the column (the key has to be in the run position). If you have a steering wheel puller, torx drivers, and experience or good mechanical inclination, you can do it in about 45 minutes to an hour. If not, expect to pay that in labor at a shop. Any auto parts store sells lock cylinders for your truck. They usually run $15-20. Once again, make sure you get this fixed soon before it locks up completely.

I agree. My daughter had an 88’ S-10 that locked up in the “run” position. Naturally, I had to go out in the middle of the night…across town, in foul weather and pull a couple of fuses to shut off the little truck.

Im curious here…even if I dont have an airbag, would a steering wheel puller be required? Also, would a Haynes manual be sufficient to replace the lock cylinder? I do have some experience working on cars but would this be very difficult? Thanks!

Hey. Just wanted to let y’all know it was a success replacing the lock cylinder. After a few dirty words, I finally got the cylinder out. Thanks everyone for your advice. You have another happy customer!