Key for 2006 Saturn ion

I just bought a 2006 Saturn Ion last week. The dealer only had one key. They told me I could get a copy made anywhere because the key did not have a chip in it. (Yeah, right) It will cost me $25 per key to have it made at the dealerhip. If I order a key blank off the internet & have it cut at a hardware store, would it work on my car withouth “messing” up the passkey system? I want to make 3 copies if possible.

Welcome to the 21st century. Skip the internet keys and pay the money locally to get the keys made. Just be glad the key did not have a chip in it. I paid $65 apiece for keys to a 2005 Vibe that supposedly did not have a chip either but they were “special keys”.

I found a key shop that had blanks (with rubber tops)for my Saturn. I had three made for $3.50 per key. While I was there, two other Saturn owners showed up to have keys made. Needless to say, I was VERY happy.

Just to add to my previous posts. I had 3 keys made at a locksmith shop. I put away the original key because it is starting to show signs of wear.

I used one of the copies for three weeks. Then I started having the PassLock no start problem that is so common.

We read on the internet that cutting the white wire in the ignition switch solved the problem. Maybe it works on other year models, but not on my car, so we spliced it back together.

While reading my owner’s manual about the PassLock system, I saw the key phrase (no pun intended) that the PassLock will activate if the car can’t “read” the key properly. I had an “AHA” moment and pulled out the original key.

So far, the car has started every time using the original key. I am not sure why the copy worked for 3 weeks and then stopped working.

Soon I will have to kill one Saturday morning so I can get an extra key made at the Saturn shop. It is 50 miles away from where I live, and I cannot go after work, because I work two jobs and there just isn’t enough time between them to get there during the week. Fun times!

I guess this is what I get for being such a cheapskate, er… I mean Frugal.