Kendall GT Syn blend Vs Mobil One Syn

I went to Firestone and they put in Kendall GT Syn blend. It is also an oil a Honda m/c recommended.

I used to have Mobil One Syn and remember that gears changes very quickly.

Nowdays California weather is cold too and not the best time - but I feel that as engine warming revs remain high before advancing gears - it has nothing to do with the tranny though. It surely makes some difference in mileage coupled with more short commute.

Am I better off with Mobil One Syn?

Here’s my take when it comes to oils.

You either use a full synthetic oil or you don’t.

With a synthetic blend oil it’s part regular oil and part synthetic oil. But they don’t state what the ratio is. Is it 50% regular to 50% synthetic? Or is it 70%-30%?..etc?

And with a synthetic blend oil, the oil is only as good as its lesser component. Which is the regular oil.

Tester

What oil does your owner’s manual specify for your car? If it doesn’t specifically recommend full synthetic oil, then either the Kendall GT or the Mobil One should be o.k. provided that the oil is of the proper viscosity.

Transmissions shift at a higher rpm in cold weather to avoid lugging the engine. Cold weather really causes mileage to drop, particularly with a short commute.

"I went to Firestone and they put in Kendall GT Syn blend. It is also an oil a Honda m/c recommended.

I used to have Mobil One Syn and remember that gears changes very quickly."

Are you talking about engine oil or transmission fluid?

I caught that too @db4690; I thought it was tranny fluid he was talking about. ie; “gear changes”

Yosemite

Thanks all;

• I use only Acura/Honda Tranny Fluid
  • Kendall GT Syn blend was used for engine oil instead of Mobil One

@Triedaq - This car is 1999 Acura Integra with 100k - when there were a lot promo on Syn, I switched it - eventually settled on Mobil One - no complain. With lack of deals on Full Syn, oil changes cost around $50. So Firestone’s Kendall GT Syn blend became very attractive for $20 regular coupon offer - coupled with Honda m/cs recommendation. In 1999, Syn oil were not used for cars as far as I know.

@Triedaq - "Transmissions shift at a higher rpm in cold weather to avoid lugging the engine"
Are u saying that if Full Syn shifts gears quicker, it is straining engine and not very good idea? Are there anything else in the Full Syn to mitigate the strain that might caused?

@sciconf you’re not entirely correct

In 1999, there were already a few car manufacturers who were specifying synthetic oil

But it wasn’t yet very widespread

Am I missing something here? The Kendall oil is in the engine, correct? If so that should not have a thing to do with the transmission shifting should it? Also I doubt if the car really knows the difference between Mobil and Kendall.

The oil used makes no difference in how the car drives, as long as it meets the manufacturer’s specs.

edit- except for extreme cold weather starting (not shifting).

Someone like you who sounds sensitive to real or unreal stuff use Mobil 1. It is like vitamins for a car this old. It does hurt but does it help who knows, mostly psychosomatic.

Colder weather is the factor not oil type. Does it become normal once car is warmed up?

ENGINE oil would have ZERO effect on transmission operation.
Look elsewhere.

With all due respect @sciconf . A car has a plethora of systems and each require their own attention.

@scionf–As others have said, the engine oil has nothing to do with the transmission staying in a lower gear longer. The cold weather affects the shift points of the transmission. You said that you had had colder weather just after the oil change.