Keeping "Cargo" Things From Sliding Around in SUVs

Very clever!

Yes - you piled things up. As long as you don’t care about seeing with the rear view mirror who’s right behind you and tailgating you before you slow down or hit the brakes.

There is easily as much storage room in the Rav4 as the Camry without obstructing vision. I agree, the Rav4 won’t hold twice as much, as the specs would indicate. But as much or a bit more? Sure.

1 Like

Get a winter (rubber) line for the back. They really help keep things from sliding around.

That’s a stock photo. I don’t own an SUV.

But to your comment, you’re right. I don’t care. If I hit the brakes, it’s because I need to hit the brakes. I will still hit the brakes to avoid running a kid over even if some cretin is tailgating me. He can rear end me and then explain to his insurance company why he was an idiot. Whether I see him or not is immaterial.

3 Likes

I still want to know what you normally carry that makes this such a concern . Hardly anyone I know with an SUV is this worried . Also tailgaters don’t care if you can see them or not . How often are you going to have your rear view mirror blocked any way.
Many times I had our pickup loaded with stuff as high as the cab and just used the side mirrors to keep track of vehicles behind me.

2 Likes

Agree whenever I can use inside mirror is a + but I depend more on the side mirror’s.

On that same vein, the only time the back-up camera is on is when in reverse. Once in a while it would be nice to flip to a rear view when driving to see what is directly behind me.
As long as the camera is there I can’t believe it would be that big a deal to provide the option.

Do a little google searching and you may find the hack for your specific vehicle. I know some people in the Highlander Forum have hacked it.

I have not seen it but I was told that Subaru has the ability to show the back up camera while moving and it might even show the front view while moving .

A cargo liner should work. Go to a Toyota dealership parts department and ask for one or get one from weather tech
https://www.weathertech.com/cargo-liner/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp6Gbzqn65wIVhshkCh338wKzEAAYASAAEgL3yvD_BwE

In the Outback.org forum, somebody provided a graphic explaining how to remove the in-dash system and install a “jumper wire” that would accomplish that goal. Because I felt that this would be… unwise… with a fully-warrantied vehicle, I never attempted his “fix”.

Yeah I’m not interested in a shade tree fix. Not a big deal, unless they just put a button in. Now start/stop would call for shade tree experimentation.