Jerky 2005 Sebring @ 2750 RPM

My 2005 2.7L 6 cylinder Sebring with 100800 miles that was running fine just started jurking on me last week. It runs fine untill I get it up to 2750RPMs. Its like its getting gas, then not getting gas and jurks forward all in less than a second and then again, and again and again, untill I drop the RPMs back down. Any one have a clue on what I should be looking for?

Is the Check Engine light on?

Tester

It would be useful for you to edit your mention of this problem on another thread to say that you’ve started a new thread. That way we don’t get parallel threads confusing things.

Ignition electronics can “break down” at certain rpms. I had this happen on a motorcycle and a new ignition module solved it. You might try a camshaft sensor.

FYI: I deleted the comment in the other thread, and let this one be the “official” question.

If the check engine light isn’t on, I’d suspect the crankshaft position sensor, especially if the tachometer ‘bounces’ all over the place when the problem occurs. If the check engine light IS on, please post back with the codes. On most Chrysler vehicles you can retrieve the codes without using a scan tool by turning the ignition on-off-on-off-on (don’t turn as far as ‘start’, only to the ‘run’ position)–the codes will either be displayed on the odometer or blink out on the check engine light.

Here is a Youtube video on how to retrieve the codes. It is for a Chrysler minivan, but should (hopefully) still be relevant. If this procedure doesn’t work, Autozone will read the codes for you for free.

youtube.com/watch?v=DN14htXm8GU