Jeep trouble with V6

'95 Jeep grand cherokee makes valve noise on last cylinder, such as lifter on passenger side

It probably is a stuck lifter, does it need an oil change? I didn’t know that Jeep used a V6 engine.

V6??? Sure it’s not a in-line 6??

The Jeep in-line 6 is notorious for Valve clatter.

I bet it’s an inline 6 or a V8.

thanks folks…it is a V6…believe first year was 2005…
uses 5 qt’s of oil…
did feel it was a lifter…had that noise…for long time…mostly when sitting or starting…dealer does not appear to,hear same as myself and friends who have all fooled around with cars since “when”…
thanks…jeff London

the grand question is how does the dealer provide better ears,agree…sounds like lifter…the v6 came out in 2005 when i bought the car new…
appreciate any assistance…
jeff london

yup…
a 2005 jeep V6 that uses 5 gt’s of oil…
just the clatter that souds like a lifter on last cylinder to back, passenger side…
why was the jeep in line 6 notorious for clatter…?
thanks…
jeff london

addend: noise is there before or just after 5 gt. oil change…
did once think that oil distribusion was not up to par…as being cause for lifter problem…
thanks…
jeff london

mistake…year of jeep cheroke is 2005…
got centuries amiss…at first…
sorry…
jeff london…mix up occurs as my main mode of travel was '56 FX3 austin taxi or checker cab…or '56 morris minor…

Are you trying for a warranty repair? Is this why you “need the Dealer to hear it”?

Why did you include the info “uses 5 qt’s of oil”

NOW THAT WE HAVE CONFIRMED THE YEAR AND THAT IT IS A V6, IS IT A DODGE ENGINE OR WHAT SIZE ENGINE? I JUST WANT TO KNOW.

1. is concern of valves and later problems…
    2.i think there should be a warrenty repair.
    let them know about the noise a long time ago…have extended warrenty…
  2. uses 5 qt’s of oil…marked it on the radiator shroud…2 times dealer put in 4 qt’s…
    and 5 is unusual in my memory.

This would be the 3.7l V6 engine derived from the 4.7l V8. It’s originally a Jeep engine.

hello…thank you for responding…last time dealer said it was the fuel injector…
but the noise persists…different levels of soft to louder…then this week i came out of driveway into fast traffic and the sound was outrageous…then stopped…as it is more noticeable at different times…on starting…or after engine running for a while,or sitting still in park/neutral/or drive…thought to just bring it over and leave it to be fixed…listened to other jeeps with this engine…quiet as a mouse…thanks again…jeff london