Jeep gas problem

i have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee with 166,xxx miles and for the past week or so its been going through a good amount of gas. on some days i go to drive and it sputters alittle so i let off and get back on it and it goes great but it doesnt do that much… i was told to take the front driveshaft out because its an all wheel drive and it would make it better. but it didnt… what could be wrong??? could it be a catalytic converter? i had just replaced the air filter. i checked the plugs when i got it about 2 months ago and they were new. along with the distributor cap and the wires looked good too.

thankyou

Get somebody to read the engine codes (OBD II) and see if anything shows up. BTW, information on the engine, transfer case, etc. would be helpful. Not all Grand Cherokees are always in 4wd. Some have a 2wd-4wd transfer case. Also, disconnecting the front driveshaft won’t have much effect on the mileage on this vehicle.

Take it to one of the auto part stores that will check to see if there are any error codes stored in your car’s computer. Bet the real error code (like P0123) and post it back here.