Jeep Engine Code Help, Please

The check engine light on my '05 Wrangler is on (but not flashing). The parts store computer read two errors with a code of p2096. The guy said he doesn’t know the specifics and that I need to go to a dealership. Can anyone tell me what the code stands for and what I could do do narrow down the problem without paying through the nose at the dealership?

I’ve done more research and think that it means “Post Fuel Trim Too Lean”. I understand that it could be the O2 sensor, vacuum leak, pcv or the exhaust manifold. The O2 sensor is common issue and seems simple enough to tackle myself, but I don’t know about the others. I don’t really know how to narrow it down more. Any ideas? Sounds like it might end up being costly.

Check for a air intake leak after the MAF sensor in the intake ducting. You could try spraying some WD-40 on suspected areas while the engine is running. If the engine changes speed you found the leak area.

This problem should be covered under warranty if the mileage is low enough.

not that it really helps; but, the full title of DTC P2096 is, “Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1”. Your engine is a V6 or a V8. The Bank 1 would be the left side of the engine. The lean part would be excess air, like from a leak on the intake manifold or the exhaust manifold, OR the O2 sensor saying it is. The sensor could be mistaken, or, there could exist a leak.