Jacy's Story: The Consequences of Distracted Driving

I just googled “Smart Car vs. Semi,” and I would like to warn anyone who is thinking about doing the same, the pictures are quite graphic.

With all due respect, I don’t think forcing anyone to look at those photos is a good idea. If you need those photos to get your point across, you might want to work on developing your imagination. There are better ways.

Also, the car in the photos isn’t a Smart car. It is some kind of VW.

Jacy:

When you get a chance send me an E-mail with your E address as I would like you to send my older son David an E-mail with your experiences as he frequently drives while on the cell phone. He’s 30 teaches classical performance guitar at three universities in Michigan and is a person that loves helping others BUT my wife & I can’t convince him to stop using the cellphone while he’s driving those fast Michigan roads. I love him & I don’t want anything to happen to him or to others by him. Russ

Hi Jacy-
I work with a teen youth movement called NFTY and I have been very touched by your story. We have a convention coming up this winter with close to 1000 teenagers - as well as 250 of our youthworkers. I have no doubt that some of our teens sometimes are distracted drivers and your story would be a powerful message to them to make better decisions. We would love to invite you to speak to our teens and encourage them to pledge not to drive and text. What is the best way to reach you to send you an invitation and hopefully make arrangements for you to join us?
Thank you so much
Beth
bavner@urj.org

Thank you for taking a stand on this issue. I believe distracted driving goes beyond just using a cellphone. It includes eating, drinking, even intense conversations with passengers. We have this utter complacency caused by the universal commonplace nature of cars that lulls us into this false sense of security. For me, I find it makes driving a very anxious experience, because I frequently have to second-guess other drivers who are making very poor choices. One way to fix it is with laws and actual enforcement (since I frequently see State and local police setting bad examples of driving, that would also be another good place to see some change), but another is with actual education and universal driving standards in this country. If everyone were taught to a very high level how to drive what is a dangerous machine, and if they stopped viewing driving as a right but as the privilege that it is, then we might start to see more caring and consideration.

Thanks for the warning, Whitey.

Being an adamant “no cell phone” driver, I don’t feel much of a need to google those images to convince me of something that I am already convinced of…

But that said, I had a bit more of a lazy attitude in metal shop about clothing. Not very lazy, but in retrospect too lazy. During training on the equipment, they showed graphic images of someone with a loose sleeve who got it caught in a metal lathe. That convinced me without a doubt.

So forcing someone to see the images may not be the best practice, but if nothing is getting through to them? Well, then maybe…

[SIGH] … It’s been almost three weeks. I guess I should give up hope.

Sorry, Jacy. I tried to share your message, but Car Talk tech support must be managed by drunken lemurs.

That reminds me of a time I was working for a close friend in a warehouse. While training me on the forklift, my friend said, “Always get into the forklift before driving it. Never operate it as you walk beside it (like others did).” The very next day, my friend ran over her own foot with the forklift. It was all caught by the security cameras too.

I would love to talk to your son. The best email to reach me at is jgood@focusdriven.org
Thanks! Jacy