It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread too. I recently acquired a 1996 Grand Cherokee as part of an Estate proceeding. Under 60,000 miles on it, and the way I drive it, I’ll probably get another 20+ years out of it. I love it because its the first vehicle I’ve ever owned with a working A/C! I can get about 19 M.P.G. on the open highway; about 13.5 around town, and mine has the 5.3 V-8.

I have owned two Cherokee’s, 1997 and 2001 - the first and last of that body style and two Wranglers - 1997 5 speed 4 banger and still own a 2004 6 cylinder auto. The biggest issues I had with the Cherokee’s are the air-conditioners and changing the spark plugs on the 2001 inline 6. I also found out when changing the plugs you can only use the same brand, according to the dealer, that came in the car. I put in a different brand and caused the engine to miss and the check engine light to stay on. Go figure. The 4 banger, my son owned and drove it from the Carolina’s to KY on a regular basis, had massive engine issues with only 52000 miles. Still love the jeeps though.

Interesting that your son had engine problems. The 4.0 and 2.5 are for the most part identical with some minor differences due to the 2.5 being a Chevy V6 bolt pattern when Jeep was using the 2.8 GM for it’s “bigger engine”. When the 4.0 came “back”, it had a head design like the 2.5 as opposed to the 4.2. About the only problem I’ve heard with the 4 bangers is an occasional hole in a piston from injector imbalance causing inaudible detonation under high speed driving. That and asking it to turn really big meats. The bottom ends are otherwise as bulletproof as the 4.0. Easy engine to work on …when you do have to do something. They’re extremely expensive to get any more power out of and are more suited to a medium sized tractor than a chassis used as a passenger car …but ….

Amen brother. I own a 1998 Wrangler. In my line of work, I travel a lot and thus rent a lot of cars, which often stirs up the thought, ‘Gee, this car is nice, drives nicely, and is actually - now, what’s the word? Oh yes. Civilized - I should finally grow up and buy a real car.’ Then, a summer day comes around, the top comes off (the Jeep, that is), Sammy Hagar goes into the CD player, and I take to the trails. Then, I can’t imagine driving anything else. You’re right. It is a Jeep thing.

Addendum.

Okay, I have to confess. The driving a Wrangler for more than, say, an hour has been added to the Geneva Convention as a form of torture. My ex-wife and I and once drove from the Frankfurt area to Luxembourg. I say, again, ex-wife. Back in the States, I drove the Jeep on short trips around town and off road. Here in Germany I only drive on lousiest days. For trips that will last more than an hour, in the States, I drive the Subaru. Here in Germany, I take the train. Putting the Jeep on the autobahn is like putting a fish on a bicycle. Still, I can’t imagine parting with it. It’s a Jeep thing.

Oh, if I’m on a road trip, when I get out of it …you would think that I was a Tin Man in dire need of an oil can. Such is the curse of the 50+ crowd. I got to drive to my pal’s place in western PA. It’s a 250 mile trip. This time the weather cooperated and I got to have the top down the entire trip both ways. It didn’t seem as bad with the freedom of the half doors. On that trip I started wearing industrial ear plugs. I’ve started using them when I’m going to be too long over 50-55mph …and that’s with the top up.

I imagine it’s not unlike owning an older Harley. The top is a relative pain to put down …lots of hoop jumping compared to a passenger car. You can’t fit anything in them besides yourself and some reasonable gear. Groceries are a pain to load and unload. That’s why you see quite a few of them traded within 2 years. They suck gas and that “image” just doesn’t cash the checks that the commercials write.

…but give me a good blizzard …or some of the trails in the coal regions …

Okay, if we’re also mentioning ‘other’ Jeeps, I’d like to give a “shout out” to the funkiest, most oddball Jeeps ever: the old right hand drive Postal Jeeps with the sliding doors. I’ve owned TWO in my lifetime, that’s how smart I am (sarcasm), and if I had an enclosed garage, I’d probably get another. Those things were the definition of “death trap”. Handled like a Conestoga Wagon, brakes would lock up almost just by touching the pedal, no safety features except a lap belt, and they were VERY prone to rolling over; even a crossbreeze could send your heart into your throat.

In addition, they were hot as an oven in the summer and cold as an ice box in the winter. They had very little cargo room and were terrible in snow, and it was near impossible to find one that wasn’t already rusted out. The ones I had got 11 M.P.G. on their BEST day, and they only had a 10 gallon gas tank, so you couldn’t even go 100 miles without refueling. And everyone who saw it had the same comment, “Oh, I bet that gets really great gas mileage!” Ha ha ha!

But I’ve been hypnotized by those oddball Jeeps since I was 5 years old. I guess it really is a Jeep thing.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I will fix this car and put new tires on it until the doors fall off, and then some! It is a Jeep after all.

My daughter is on her second Jeep Grand Cherokee. Her first was going strong at 175K when she decided she wanted her '07. I doubt that 3.7 V-6 will stay with her as long. My older son is on his second JGC only because his ex-wife got the first one in the divorce. It had 220K at last sighting. My wife is on her third JGC. It is pushing 150K. The others were well beyond that when we sold them. I am a big fan of the 4.0 I-6. I took a picture of the odometer of an I-6 JGC with 299K once, just to prove to my wife that she was wanting a newer one too soon.

Yes, we have been off road a few times. As the locals in Colorado say, "You haven’t seen the mountains until you’ve seen the BACKISIDE of the mountains. I’ve been amazed at how well our JGC handled some pretty nasty stuff. We saw Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, Wrangler types, a couple of old Grand Wagoneers, and one idiot in a BMW 4X4 “up there” once. The backside is sometimes crowded…