Is there a way to secure Hubcaps to fix runaway Hubcaps?

I reviewed some threads on this forum. I find some 1999/1998 Camry’s still have OEM hubcaps intact, but find lot of threads on internet for runaway hubcap events for Camrys.

Why does hubcaps come off, while driving?

Are there any preventive steps to keep hubcaps intact?

I too lost couple of them over the period.

I find this interesting piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np0isnB7BRc

I like to pick the brain of this forum, whether zip-tie solution work!

Thanks for sharing.

Update 7/19/2015

@

It is interesting. We are not finding pothole free roads nowadays. How did you manage to keep hubcaps intact?

Do we need to look for any spec/strength in Zip-tie to use with hubcaps?

@Yosemite

Good to know about your dabbing of anti seize .

Is it a one-time solution or we need to do, whenever we remove hubcaps?

Do you apply this only for Wire retainer?

I have never lost any unless I hit a BIG pothole, but this would work. It is kinda ugly though.

It will work, but it will be more difficult to remove the rim to check brakes and other hardware in the wheel well. You might consider dressing it up a little by using zip ties of an appealing color and tie all the hub cap spokes to the rim. This looks like a utilitarian fix and the colored zip ties might not appeal to an austere person.

I had a wheel replaced once and from that point, I lost 2-3 hubcaps on that wheel. Apparently there was something wrong with the wheel. Went without a hubcap on that wheel from then till the car was traded.

That fix will work. Keep a pair of wire cutters in the car in case of a flat. Plus a few ties.

Cable ties on your hubcaps? That’s as bad as putting down old newspapers in a new Cadillac to keep the carpets clean. I’d rather have the hubcaps pop off.

I don’t think the weight of the cable ties will seriously disturb the balance, but I don’t know for sure. So put on 3 or 4 equally distributed around the circumference.

Should work. But it’d look super cheezy and might just be a temptation to kids to cut the tie steal the hubcap.

A better solution might be to paint the wheels and get baby-moons and chrome rings. They’re not as prone to popping off as full plastic hubcaps are.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=baby+moon+hubcap+images&id=3B468CECABCD51FE1C0A810C3FC5B445655EB908&FORM=IQFRBA

Take the hubcaps off, throw them away a go Old School, Or dress them up a tiny bit and add chrome lug nuts for a tiny bit of sparkle.

Looks “old school” on a hot Mustang, but “low rent district” on an aging Camry. A Camry needs a bit more help to look good. But it IS an option to consider.

Great looking Mustang, by the way.

Alternatively, you could just buy a set of alloy/alluminun wheels and not worry about losing wheel covers.

@Mustangman IIRC pretty much every Mustang from 1994 onward came from the factory with alloy or aluminum wheels. That Mustang is a 2010 or newer. I must ask, why the steelies? Snow tires?

Depends on the trim level, Fodaddy. Basic strippees came with steel wheels and hubcaps. Probably still so.

Aren’t those just plastic wheel covers? I used to have trouble with my wire wheel covers after a few hundred thousand miles of use. The clips would weaken and let loose even though there was a security bolt holding them on, they would still rotate a little. Not much you could do except replace them since new clips were not available. One morning I even watched one in the rear view mirror roll off the freeway into the ditch. I noted where it went in and retrieved it on my way home that night.

I guarantee if you secure them in a locked cabinet you will never have a runaway wheel cover.

Unclip the wire retainer from the hub cap.

The wire retainer has a bend in it. Place that bend into a vice and slightly bend up on the retainer so it grips the wheel tighter.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mL_zjQHAqlB1Uth3prle5cA.jpg

Tester

I think much of the problem comes from small specks of rust that get trapped between the Wire retainer and the inside of the wheel cover. It allows the wheel cover to work it’s way loose.
A little dab of anti seize will allow it to stay put.

I know this sounds backwards, but I’d bet it works.

Yosemite

Toyotas from the 1990’s around here don’t have wheel covers, they feel off long ago. The plastic tabs become brittle from brake heat and break off. When reinstalling old wheel covers on a customers car sometimes the tabs break off, need to be very gentle or the customer will blame the mechanic for the broken wheel cover.

Aftermarket wheel covers are inexpensive.

@the same mountainbike

For the Mustang, even the basic models of the last 20 years or so have alloy/aluminum wheels from the factory. The last one that had steel wheels with wheel covers available from the factory were old Fox body models.

@FoDaddy, I pulled the picture off the 'net and I thought it was appropriate for me to post a Mustang. Not my Mustang, mine’s a red '07. And yeah, they were snow tires.

I have a soft spot for big, black wide steelies with chrome lug nuts. They give a “no frills, all business” look to certain types of cars and an “I’m broke, can’t afford nice rims” look to others!

FoDaddy, the OP doesn’t have a Mustang; he has an aged Camry.