Is tension lost on a broken spring while still on a car?

This spring cracked or came out from seat at the top. Can this be removed like normal or is there still too much tension in the spring?

Don’t think there is enough room to put on spring tension bars.

06 Sonata 3.3 v6

Remove the strut assembly.

You’re going to have to do that anyway to replace the spring/strut.

In the mean time , don’t drive the vehicle.

This tire got slashed due to a broken strut spring.

Tester

2 Likes

YOU can buy quick struts. it is an all-in-one assembly.

5 Likes

If you decide to take this on as a diy’er job, be very careful. While removing the strut ass’y, the spring may extend suddenly, no telling which direction. Safest approach, tow the car to a shop and let the pro’s handle it. If I were doing that job myself as a driverway diy’er project, I’d at least thread some steel cable through the entire spring, cable-bind both ends together into a loop that tightly fits the spring to help prevent unwanted spring extension.

1 Like

Yes, I have a new whole strut assembly (and upper arm) that I will install. I’m concerned about removing the whole strut because the top is broke or removed from the top seat that it will shoot off when removing.

Im thinking if I remove the fork from the lower control arm the spring will shoot down the strut and fork because the spring is broke or out of the seat at the top.

Or maybe put a jack on the edge on the bottom of the fork, that should stop it from shooting down? And probably help with taking out the bolt from the fork and lower arm.

Wrap the spring with a chain to pervent it shooting anywhere. Unbolt the strut assembly and release it carefully. It is likely most of the load has been released.

3 Likes

+1 That’s the method I use to prevent the under-tension control arm on my Corolla from doing something untoward when I need to remove the half shaft from the wheel hub to work on the outer cv joint.

1 Like

You don’t need to do anything special with the broken spring when removing the strut assembly

It’s still retained as if the spring hadn’t broken.

I’ve done this repair many times, and do it just like this guy.

Tester

1 Like

What keeps the new strut from shooting apart?

Do Not remove the center nut from the top of the strut.

4 Likes

I’d replace both sides, the other could have the same problem

4 Likes

Concur, replacing the other side as part of the job makes a lot of sense. OP could look at this as good-fortune, since the problem is visibly obvious. Sometimes coil springs like that will break and make weird noises, but nearly impossible to see any crack or break.

Here’s a little puzzler: Which weighs more, an uncompressed coil spring, or exactly the same spring, but compressed?

1 Like

Though it looks like the top of the spring came out of the top seat mount and is not being held in by the mount?

Going by the new one and how close the springs are, it looks like the old one lost most of the compression.

But doesn’t it look like the top of the spring came off of the mount and is not held in the strut assembly?

Have you even reached in with a long screwdriver or hammer or whatever and pushed on the spring to see if it is under tension (with the car jacked up and the suspension hanging)??? If you can move it with ease then not much to worry about…

The spring might be poking out at the top, but the spring is just one long round piece of metal that is wrapped around the strut body multiple times (about 5 times), so it can’t go to far as long as you DON"T loosen the top center nut…

1 Like

The upper mount is holding the spring at the red arrow below. The loose half of a coil after that doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Maybe your local car parts store has a loaner tool program. They sell you the tool but don’t charge your credit card for a certain number of days. If you return the tools in time, they destroy the charge slip. You could maybe borrow something like these retainers:

1 Like

Why would the OP need to use spring compressors if they’re installing quick-struts?

Tester

1 Like

I’ve never really trusted those things. Plus I’ve always had trouble keeping the spring straight and with access to the socket to tighten them up. In fact I used three of them in the past. Pros have a better device, but the quick strut eliminates th whole issue and the junk yard take the whole assembly, no charge.

I suggested them because the OP was worried about the old coil popping off and making a mess.

1 Like

Yeah I understand that. Thing is you usually remove the strut, then on the bench put the spring compressors on. The op is worried about taking the strut off. I’m not sure how those things could be put on with the strut still in place. Bad enough on the bench. But as said, the spring isn’t going anywhere unless you take the top nut off.

2 Likes