Is my transmission mechanic telling me the truth?

We had the transmission and clutch rebuilt on my sons 95 Jeep Cherokee, $2k. When we picked it up, they said we had 10 days to check it out and bring it back if it wasn’t right. It wasn’t right, something was wrong w the clutch; it shuddered at the beginning of gear shift/start. We took it back and asked him to check and see if they did something wrong. He now says that to check it out, they drained the hydraulics and refilled it. And that when they pushed on the clutch, because there was full pressure now, it blew the seal on the master cylinder. He says they didn’t drain/refill previously because he understood we just wanted the basics done. He says he has to buy the whole assembly, can’t just buy the one seal we need. He says cost to fix it now is another $311.36. When I try to ask him if this new problem is a result of whatever was wrong w the clutch when we got it from him, he is very, very vague - doesn’t say yes or no. I’m afraid I am rather cynical about mechanics - I’m sorry, but it’s true. Any thoughts re this? Should I have to pay more now for this?

It is a valid explanation and would have nothing to do with the previous work. It is consistent with the age of the vehicle. But I can’t promise that it is the truth though.

You have a really old vehicle other items may arise in the repair. You are getting a new part.

Mechanics usually hide when they see something like yours(really old) roll in. Things unrelated or closely related break too due being at near end of usable life.

Good luck

Thanks to both of you for setting me straight!

Vehicles do not wear out one part at a time…The whole package wears out…The clutch should not “judder” when starting off in first gear…It’s 17 years old. Everything that moves is approaching the end of its useful life…It takes a brave mechanic to tackle a job like this…

More info needs to be known about the clutch job. A clutch shudder is usually caused by a faulty or burned pressure plate (assuming only the disc was replaced), a faulty pilot bearing, a burned or warped flywheel, etc.