Is Maine public radio the worst? Final Cartalk show. chick makes matters worse

Introducing this show, which deprives is one of the best of, but too loose to really enjoy, it’s bad enough that it is the last show, and the Maine public radio on-air chick is trying to get listeners to not be too upset about it being the last show, so she mentions the replacements shows, and actually uses the phrase, “listening forward.” Bad enough with the “moving forward,” “going forward,” etc. - But LISTENING FORWARD? Are you tranny kidding me. I wrote and complained - again, but to no avail I am sure. You can’t reason with the “forward” crowd. To say that Maine Public Radio is completely geared to a certain crust of people, is an understatement, and yet there are such linguistically-challenged staff.

So this show ends on the perfect analogous call. Some idiot in northern California who only has three goats, but they jump on the cars and ruin them, and because he wants them to run free and groovy, he won’t even tie them up, or have a pen for them. Well, that about sizes it up. The people who can afford to be idiots. . Well, goodbye guys.

Based on the following words, it appears that at least one of their listeners is also linguistically-challenged…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

We may have had our differences in the past but I have to say I would be shaking your hand if you were here. It’s really a case of dismissing the issue by talking about moving forward or the best one
"need for a change". I used to like to tell these folks that there is good change and bad change. The good change is usually for the person making the change and the bad part is the person receiving the change. Then I usually have to run to the bathroom when they talk about the “radio community” and our $10 an hr associates instead of employees, and our partners instead customers. It’s really out of the Harvard MBA type schools of group speak.

There’s no need to stop listening if you still enjoy the show. A new Best of Car Talk podcast will be posted each week with no end in sight.

1 Like

Mentally, substitute the world ‘comrade’ when they talk that way and it will make more sense.

There are real issues out there that should keep us all awake from time to time, but getting all wound up over someone using a phrase of current pop culture language is a complete waste of my time and energy.

1 Like

Maybe a waste of time but I can listen to someone speak for about five minutes and based on the terms used and accents, can pretty much peg the person’s world view. Not always but a lot of the time. Maybe its different on the east or west areas but in the center of the country, people that end statements as a question with upspeak can be a clue believe it or not.

1 Like

As far as I know, that is referred to as Valley Girl Talk because it (supposedly) originated in Southern California. The first time that I heard it was in the '80s, in the little town of Solvang, where I stayed for the night on a drive from San Francisco to L.A. In the local café, a couple of old-timers were excited to see a young, very pretty waitress, who had apparently not been on the job for a few months.

When the old guys asked her where she had been, her response was, “I go to college in L.A.??”.
My first thought was…Is she asking them where she attends college, or is she telling them?

Every subsequent statement from her also sounded like a question, and I have to say that this was the first time that I ever heard that annoying linguistic affectation.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Dear comrad Bing, what do you mean by that? :sunglasses:

Yeah, I’ve been to Solvang? Nice place if you are Norwegian?

I thought that they were Danish?
Maybe I was wrong?
My name is VDC?
I am posting on Car Talk?
:smirk:

Scandinavian anyway. It was a few years ago.

I didn’t hear valley girl up speak when I lived in Southern CA Jan 1974 to Nov 1976. I first heard it when I saw the movie on TV in the mid 1980s.

Ok. I’ve had a few up here but it’s Canadian Thanksgiving so I might be excused. What the hell are you trying to say? (To whereisthe bus). Please translate are you tranny kidding me for starters.

Talk about linguistically challenged…

They are just millennia buzz words that tend to dismiss those who may not share the same opinion. Comprende? By saying things like “we need to move forward” they are essentially telling people where they were, which may have been a better place, is not important and it’s a new age whether you like it or not. Pick an issue. It’s used to control discussion and objections. Those fully socialized may not realize what is being done, but to some of us, it’s quite evident. That’s all. IMO anyway.
Sorry to upset anyone.

To put it in terms of cars, “we need to move forward to self-driving, electric cars, that are just borrowed and not owned to save the planet”. See? It’s a conclusion without a discussion, and anyone not getting on board is just a foot dragger or worse.

1 Like

Saw a Toyota commercial this morning that revived “Moving Forward” followed by the current “Let’s Go Places”.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t have a pod.

You don’t have to load the show to an I-Pod. Go to “Our Show”, click on “listen now” or show archives to stream shows to your device.

1 Like

I know streaming and using “Apps” is the way for most people. But I prefer to use an old cell phone as an MP3 player and download the Car Talk MP3 files to listen when I choose.