Is it worth owning a collectible car, even if you don't plan to drive it often?

Does anyone here own a car which is primarily for collectible/historic purposes, and not driven very often? Do you find the enjoyment from owning this collector car is high enough to justify the cost of insurance, upkeep, etc? Just asking, because I am being offered a historic vehicle in good, running condition, for basically scrap value, and it will probably go to waste if I don’t take it.

1 Like

So much depends on your situation. Do you have a place to keep it that’s dry? Do you want to do the upkeep? Do you like the car?

1 Like

Worth it is very relative to your situation. I have several (left) that mainly sit unused. As I have gotten older and have other distractions as well, I have tended to let them sit more and more over the years. As you well know, stuff goes bad just sitting. It is much worse than using them regularly. So it often requires maintenance be done when you want to drive them or something is discovered on that infrequent drive that will require attention before the next time. The thrill is still there whenever I do take them out and that is probably why I still own what’s left of my collection over the years. I do not need any money they might bring so that is also a factor. In fact, I prefer to eventually give them away to who I feel is deserving or would appreciate them rather than go through the hassle of selling something like this. So it really is a labor of love versus some way of trying to find some financial gain in the process…

In your case, considering the limited cost of acquiring the car, as long as you have some place to store it and it’s not so unique that if you did need to sell it you could, why not??

3 Likes

Just curious-what kind of car is it?

I looked at a hemi cuda for $2500 in 1978. Should have bought it. And amazon stock. Or Apple.

Personally, a car that just sits has no value to me. If I don’t drive it, it needs to find a better home. I would not buy a classic car as an investment, only because I’d love to drive it. Cars are meant to be driven. But that’s me.

A good friend of mine differs in that regard. He has a Corvette that rarely gets driven. His 56 Packard likely gets more miles per year. But that’s how he enjoys his toys and that’s OK.

You need to answer this one yourself. If you want to save the car, what does your gut tell you?

You can drive it every few weeks. As long as you put less than 5000 miles or so (WAG) you could get an agreed value insurance policy. One of the insurers says it can’t be your daily driver but doesn’t put a mileage limit on it.

If you’re unsure, which is what it sounds like, then skip it.

I really want know what this mystery vehicle is .

The car is a 1989 Dodge Aries sedan. It has no rust or body damage, and still looks decent. It has been kept in a carport. It runs, but the tires are old and sun-damaged.

This is a neighbor a few doors down from me. The old lady passed away, the daughter is trying to empty the house ASAP to put it up for sale. She put all the furniture, clothing, small appliances, etc outside for people to take. I asked about the car, and she said I could have it for $300, otherwise the junkyard will haul it away.

That seems like such a waste, and I am seriously considering whether this type of car could make a good collectible/occasional driver.

I’ll bet you are real excited about a front wheel drive Chrysler.

This is like asking if a hobby is worth it. Only you can decide. Someone might ask if skiing is a worthwhile thing to do. I would say absolutely not, but my cousin would answer that it’s the greatest thing ever.

I have a collection of vinyl records and some 70’s era audio equipment. At some point I decided that the pelasure I get from these items is worth the time and money I invest.

You’re a big fan of these cars. They’re easy to repair. $300 is less than one payment on a new car, insurance and license costs should be minimal. Buy the damn thing and have some fun!

1 Like

Buy it and drive it. It will never be worth much to anybody but you so I’d say it is a bargain. Replace the tires and drive it.

2 Likes

Back in 1977, I bought a 1948 Dodge sedan with the idea of restoring the car. I had it running very well. I didn’t realize how expensive body work would be. Eight years later I was driving the old Dodge down the street and was offered more than I paid for the car. I grabbed the offer.

Before Covid, someone working at a nearby bar drove a Dodge Aries daily.

20181001_181053

Not collectable or historic . But buy it for 300.00 , put cheap tires on and detail it and make some money .

Make money how? Delivering pizza?

2 Likes

Have no idea what you are trying to say .

Why did you “really want to know” what car this is? You know he likes Chryslers.

No not delivering pizza . With used vehicles priced so ridiculous anything that runs a looks decent will bring a crazy price .