Is it worth owning a collectible car, even if you don't plan to drive it often?

He wants to own the car, not see it gone.

I would think you would want to drive it once in a while. I have admitted to myself that those days for me are gone. When I had the ambition I did not have the time or money but now I just donā€™t want the bother.

It depends on what you call ā€œcollectibleā€. I remember one time you telling me your Sundance was collectible, when to me, its simply an old car that wasnā€™t much liked even when new. Ive got three collectible cars, none of which i drive any more. I have one, a 63 Lincoln converticle that I keep in one bay of my two car garage. It hasnt turned a wheel in 35 years. I have my 62 Caddy Sedan de Ville and my 60 Chrysler 300F a couple miles from home in a garage facility for antique and classic cars. The rent is not cheap, but worth it to me in order to keep the cars protected.

There is a 1989 Dodge Aries to be sold at Mecum Kansas City auction December 1 through 3 .

A bud have 3 corvettes, one runs 2 are in the midst of at least a decade of a little here a little there, it makes him happy, so who cares?

Thatā€™s a K car with the 2.2, correct. Nicely appointed but so underpowered as to be dangerous.
Maybe Iā€™d sealed in a bag of nitrogen for 50 years it might become collectible.

What it would be suitable for is a destruction derby car.

100 horsepower. The 2.5 L engine was an option. Georgeā€™s Corolla has 102 horsepower.

I drove a Dodge Lancer with the 2.5 L engine for 4 years, difficult maintaining speed on mountain grades with the A/C on, but back then the Honda Civics were driving in the truck lane @ 30mph.

A Toyota Corolla made in the same era was a better car. Have you ever seen an 89 Corolla in a museum? At a Cars and Coffee? In a Concours? No. They were economy cars built by the millions. People used them up and scrapped them. Some may survive but they are not valuable.

Some of the 15 million plus Ford Model Ts did as well, survive. Same for VW Beetles, Pintos and Vegas. But the collector market for any of these is very small because they were economy cars used and scrapped. None are investments.

1 Like

Museums are for people to look at cars. I keep covers on my cars so other people canā€™t look at them. Private collection.

I consider a classic from the 50s and 60s. Maybe a few from the 40s or 30s if there was some connection like the car grandpa used to have. Itā€™s amazing though the monthly rock auto newsletter always has a car someone has restored from the 80s or newer. I think to myself, that is a classic? Not wanting to offend the young n.

I would admire a nice 40 ford or 39 Pontiac or 57 ford or even a 63 Lincoln, but gee a k car? Of course imho.

I could not pass up the opportunity! The car is now parked next to my carport, and I will buy a cover to protect it from the weather. According to the title, this is a one-owner car, and it currently has about 140,000 miles.

I will have to get new tires for this, and should probably replace the belts, hoses, water pump, distributor cap and rotor, change the transmission fluid and filter, etc. I assume the current ATF+4 can be used in this. There is a sticker indicating that the timing belt was changed at some point, but the date is not legible anymore.

2 Likes

Twenty-five years ago the state of Nevada began to offer ā€œClassic Vehicleā€ license plates for vehicles 20 years or older. Today there are so many common vehicles displaying classic vehicle plates that the state requires classic car insurance or the owner must obtain regular license plates.

I was hoping it was older than 1980, but the timing belt was the tip off.

We had a 89 K car as a company car, we all hated how slow it was. I had an 84 Dodge Rampage (Horizon based) with the 2.2, 5 speed, 5th being overdrive. Even in that lighter vehicle the 2.2 was barely adequate.

Why? Timing belts go all the way back to the 1967 Pontiac Firebird OHC 6 cylinder

Last week I saw a rampage- first one in about 30 years

Yes

Yes. Honestly, the upkeep isnā€™t much and if I had the extra storage space, Iā€™d probably have a couple more.

Nice, what is it?

He said it is a 1989 Dodge Aries sedan and he did purchase it .

With 140K on the odo!

140,000 on a malaise era Chryco productā€¦

Thatā€™s probably 40,000 miles past its expiration date

2 Likes