Is it worrying that "Unmitigated disaster" used to describe Tesla's recent car sales?

The problem is when charging an electric vehicle or for that matter
an electric bike or scooter
So do the charging in the driveway. In northern climates, cars rust faster when stored overnight in a heated garage which acceletates the chemicsl reaction of road salt and water.

I’ll add one more, which is the increasing politicization of the EV. I won’t deny the practical issues. My wife and I, in fact, had that convo recently on a 450 mile-ish drive from VA to NY. She’s reticent largely because of the range anxiety and recharging issue. Legit. I get that, and still think what would be best for us would be a standard hybrid. Except, that - like most other people - our normal daily driving needs are really quite short-range, and a BEV would be fine and wouldn’t even need a daily recharge. It would be way easy to manage without anxiety, so long as it wasn’t our only car.

We need a couple of vehicles anyway, so we could always have the “road-tripper” (standard ICE or hybrid) plus the daily driver (perhaps BEV).

The fact is that this would work for a huge majority of people in the U.S. (and always would have). But there has been this bizarre anti-cleanER energy push that has become more and more politicized. CleanER options are somehow “wokeness” even though it would actually be very practical and economical for many. Politics takes over. Reason drops to the background for at least some.

“Oh, EVs. It’s just da gubmint trying to control me…” Oy.

I’m not trying to downplay the other practical issues. Just adding this growing irrational one.

3 Likes

Yes well you said, as long as it isn’t the only car. That’s true for most people. Simply not all purpose enough to meet the needs. The other issue is concluding that it is a cleaner option. Some studies show the for the entire life cycle from mining to recycling batteries, that it is not the most friendly solution. Then you have to believe that the sky is falling which there is quite a lot of evidence that it is not. And things are not at all like Mr. Gore had predicted. Dr. Willie soon has done a lot of study relating changes in the sun not co2. And why do people want to kill all the plants anyways? But then Barnum had a saying.

2 Likes

Surely. If I was just a single guy and only needed one car, I’d not likely want a BEV for the 5% of my driving that pushed the range needs. They’re not all purpose cars. Please just let me stop and gas up.

It would be hard (impossible?) to find a reputable study that didn’t find EVs to be cleaner than ICE. But, yes - they are NOT environmentally friendly. There is no such thing as “clean” transportation. EVs are very dirty. Transportation is dirty. Hell, even prior to any autos horses created pollution problems - at least in the cities. But in comparative terms, EVs are not as bad as ICEs - especially at the ground/city street level. You can always find the crackpots that say they are “more dirty” or maybe just as dirty. They are not. There’s still a lot of progress to be made, to be sure. But aren’t we supposed to like technological “advancement?” The “new Luddites” are making themselves heard.

And speaking of crackpots. “Mr. Gore” is not a scientist. Nor is he even relevant today. We’re showing our age by even addressing him. (Bill Nye is also not a scientist - and you didn’t mention him, but it’s a joke of our times that he is so often brought forth in public discussions of these things).

The plain truth is that the greenhouse effect is just basic physics. And atmospheric CO2 can be - and is - measured (along with other greenhouse gasses). And among the first people that first brought it up as an issue were oil industry scientists in the 1970s (tho’ that history might go back to the turn of the 20th century). It’s not chicken little despite what crackpot “Dr. Willie” - funded by the likes of the Koch Brothers - has to say. It’s simple physics. I can find you “Dr. Flat-Earth” and Dr. “Evolution-is-a-Hoax” too if you want.

But, you know. It still gets cold and snows sometimes in some places, so I guess it’s all just B.S.

I hadn’t either until this week. I’ve seen two on the road here in the prior three days. It’s possible they were in fact the same truck; but the sightings were 20 miles apart.

It sort of looks like a “speculation of the future” truck I might have drawn in elementary school. I’d have probably put wings on it too … lol …

1 Like

Equipment needed to design the cybertruck:
Wheels/tires:
Body:

I used more for my 7th grade doodles.

2 Likes

I have seen quite a few Rivian electric trucks around. Not too bad looking - far less ridiculous - but I truly don’t know a thing about the company or reliability or actual costs of ownership and operation or whatever.

But I also have no idea why anyone wants a 4-5’ bed. That’s not a “truck.” Of course, the that trend pre-dates the newer electric options. I think it started with extended cabs. Add a couple of feet to the cab and take them off of the bed. Then add the four door cab and shrink the bed even more. IDK. I grew up in a family business doing lumber and building supply. When it comes time to dump a bunch of wall studs, plywood, and/or sheetrock into a truck for transport, please just leave me a bed that can handle 8’ of material.

+1
I maintain that the Cybertruck is a “look at me” vehicle, for those who can afford the $80k-100k price tag, and who have an emotional need for the envy of others. The only problem–IMO–is that people who gaze at these things are most likely thinking the same things that we all are saying–namely that it is a plug-ugly thing that is not fully functional as a truck.

The one that I saw was parked on the main street in Princeton, and it attracted a crowd–including me. This is hardly a scientific poll, but everyone who I could overhear was talking about how impossibly ugly it was.

It’s about compromises. I’m only buying one truck to fulfill as many of my needs as possible. Exactly right, extra cab space results in shorter beds. I had a bonus cab 3/4 ton with a full size bed and a plow. The turning radius was unreal. I can live with a 5’ bed because I can lower the gate and carry full sized lumber or most any other cargo as in an 8’ bed. And although it may need to be greased, it can fit into my garage when necessary. :grinning: Hard to find anything with a frame that can do all the kinds of work I need in one package…the best fit is a crew cab w/5’ bed. I must not be alone, they are very popular these days.

2 Likes

You can still get multiple transmissions in a 5’ bed, as well as engines and rear ends and many other part and all kinds of tools and such, none of which you want in the back of your mini van or SUV… Anyone ever hauled an old greasy rear end that was leaking gear oil, not something you want to smell inside your vehicle… As Twin Turbo said, it is all about your needs…

If you are a low budget racer and haul your car on an open trailer ad have a few friends ride alone as the pit crew, then you need room for 4-5 adults in the cab and room for tools and a few spare parts/tires and luggage etc…

2 Likes

Exactly why I bought my first Avalanche. Tows 8500 lbs, carries 6 passengers and has a 5 ft bed for tires and tools. The fold-down midgate allowed me to haul 10ft sheets of drywall with the tailgate down fully supporting the load. Current trucks don’t have that neat feature.

I don’t think range is as big an issue as some make it out to be. The offerings have plenty for most uses. A 400 mile range doesn’t really solve the long charging time while taking a trip and then you have to haul 200 miles of battery ALL the time.

Early adopters didn’t care what the resale value was going to be, but the current adopters DO! Low resale value is a function of both low demand and fear of the cost of a battery replacement. Maybe unfounded for most EVs but the perception becomes reality.

The bottom line is, the consumer will drive the success or failure of EVs no matter what the government tries to do to push them.

2 Likes

It’s funny that you mention the Avalanche. Even now, this model sells for crazy stupid money used, even with high miles. I don’t understand why they were discontinued. I see them on the road all the time.

1 Like

I owned 2, a 2002 and traded it for a 2004 which I still have. 153K miles. The engine and driveline are still in great shape. The tin-worm got aggressive when I moved it to Florida so it is rusting pretty hard at this point… But I will drive that thing to the scrapyard when the frame breaks in half!

1 Like

There are plenty advertised for $5000 to $12,000.

Silverado EV has the midgate, at least as an option. My brother uses a 1987 Mazda B2200 4x4 to haul dirt and other things around. As long as it run’s and can get parts he’s keeping it. Not as useful as something with more payload and a longer bed but in those times but it’s waiting in the driveway and long paid for.