Navigation systems

I bought the navigation system when I bout my 2014 Honda Ridgeline. I really like the systems and have used them may time in my travels. I paid $2000 extra to have the system put in the vehicle. About a year ago Three of the buttons stopped working including the menu button that lets you select the screen with the address book and where you enter a new address. The voice commands still work. When I asked the deal how much to repair it he said $800 to $1200. Unfortunately it does not come under the warranty. My wife has a Ford Edge bought in 2010 and not to long ago the hands free portion of the Navigation system stopped working. Again I was told buy the Ford Dealer it would cost $800 to fix it because it is part of the whole system. Why are all the function like navigation, hands free phone radio CD player and other stuff built as one unit that has to be replaced as a unit? Are the new units being built better. I can get a navigation unit to stick to my windshield for $200 and quit frankly it supplies better information that the build in models. I just don’t like something sticking to my windshield and in Tucson, Az it falls off a lot.

When not in use the unit should be out of sight, not on the windshield so someone will not break in to steal it. They also have non-slip pads to set on dash .

It looks like used Honda navigation radios are around $200 on ebay. I would think a local radio repair shop may be able to repair your unit as well.

If not a standard item I would not have a factory or dealer navigation unit.
Yes, the suction cup on Garmins do not work all that well. My Magellan had a larger, softer cup that stuck like glue.
Thing I like is the quarterly map updates that are free. Orlando FL, is constantly changing so frequent updates are needed.
My Magellan, unknown to me at time of purchase, had a relight camera warning system. I suspect the data base was from users. It would give me warnings where a light was NOT present…

I have a bean bag type of mount for my Garmin. It sits on a shelf under my dash (where the upscale options would be) and has a gimbal mount for the unit itself. Pretty much not visible from the outside, but I just put my hat over it when I leave the car.

If you really want a low down on the Ridgeline overall, I suggest going to RidgelineOwnersClub.org
I have a 2010 and intentionally bought an RTL without navigation. At the time, the Garmins you could stick on your dash worked great for under $200. Yeah, it’s not as cool as a built in unit, but the cost of updates alone drove me away. Plus, I had the experience of a 2002 Acura MDX with navi. It worked ok and never failed, but the cost of updates and the increasingly better features of aftermarket portables were better.
You can replace the unit. Just gong to a radio shop for a fix I think you will find will not be a cakewalk.
On the ROC forum, we had folks who wanted to ADD the factory unit to a not factory truck. They were discouraged when they ran into cable harness differences, etc. There are a half a dozen modules throughout the truck that also are wired into the system. You can spend the money and get it fixed, eventualy, or go with a Garmin, or use a smartphone.
I do have navi in our new 2018 CRV, but also have an extended warranty. Plus, the new Honda unit are made by Garmin. Updates are cheaper, and free the first 3 years.

I’m not particularly thrilled with our Acura nav system, but it’s kind of a standard option now. The garmen is much better but I like the large screen. Wife prefers garmen but lately has used phone too. So when we travel I have three systems telling me how to drive and they’re in the front seat. Plus I prefer a map and don’t need nav.

LOL, yes I had one of those systems that liked to read, out loud, the speed limit signs no matter who’s car she was in.

Google maps and Waze are great and free on your smart phone. They do use data and Waze is a power hog. But no need to update maps. You do need a navigator in the passenger seat to use it as you should not drive and use the phone.

1 Like

Not a criticism of the OP having nav systems in his/her vehicles. I deliberately avoided a nav system in my four year old car. Having dealt with too many electrical gremlins in my previous car I’m leery of additional gadgets I can comfortably do without. Between print maps, Google maps, Mapquest, and DOT and AAA road/traffic conditions all available on my phone I do well. I’ve driven coast to coast and almost border to border with just maps and AAA books before cell phones or electronic nav systems. New tech is quite handy but not a neccesity for me.

1 Like

Not neccessarily… My Google nav app talks to me so i don’t have to look at it. I bluetooth it to the car, play the music off of my phone and the nav interrupts when it need to direct me.

I agree with you, though, there is no longer any need to buy a nav system on the car.

If you have a cellphone crutchfields has some pretty neat units that will do everything and fit in the space for $200 or so. https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/review-of-apple-carplay-and-the-sony-xav-ax200sxm-receiver.html

plus if it breaks you are out close to $1000, whereas you can replace a Garmin for about $100.

2 Likes

It’s just the economies of high-tech stuff. The more integrated all the functions, the less expensive it is to make. The downside, you have to replace the whole thing if any part fails. The add’l factor driving up prices of course is that there aren’t any competitors making replacement units that are exact fits. When something like that fails you generally have three choices

• make do without
  • buy a replacement unit from the car’s manufacturer (if available)
  • figure out a way to install a non-oem unit that performs an equivalent function but isn’t an exact fit

Perhaps at some point all the manufacturers will agree to use the same form package for their gadgetry. Then it will be simple and inexpensive to source a replacement. Until then, these sorts of problems come with the territory of combining high tech gadgetry and cars.

Don’t hold your breath. How long have we had cars with gas fills on various sides of the car? about 100 years. Standardize? HA.

Well, I mean, it used to be standardized. DIN was the form factor for a normal radio. If you wanted something bigger, you got double-DIN. That lasted for decades until interior designers decided they wanted the radio to integrate with the look of the interior (I’m looking at you, early 2000’s fish-Taurus).

One upside to no longer adhering to the DIN standard is that people aren’t stealing radios as much anymore. If it only fits into one specific car, it’s harder to fence. That plus adding in security code locks that you have to punch in any time the radio loses power has really drastically cut down on radio smash and grabs.

And this is good for those of us who buy aftermarket, too, because we no longer have to detach the faceplate and carry it around with us and hope we don’t lose it. :wink:

2 Likes

yeah, I remember those days.

Our 2016 CR-V has built in navigation. We just got a letter offering us a map update, for the special, low cost of ONLY $99.99. I can buy a complete Garmin or Magellan that does much more, updates free, and links with my cell phone for that. Or, what we just do is use the cell phone. Google maps even warns me when the route will go through areas with no service, and it downloads the map info automatically, and deletes it after a month (lots of warnings first).

You’re right about Waze being a power hog. Even with the phone plugged in the charge level slowly sinks down. It is helpful with getting around traffic sometimes, but it can take you on a wild goose chase for no good reason, too. “Trust, but verify.”

1 Like

I would only have built in navigation if it came with a package. Volvo gave us 3 free updates but we won’t pay for any. We use the vehicle system for final destination and our Magellan unit to check for anything else . I should have known but just recently found out the unit can be charged by our laptop.

huh? why would it have to be charged, it’s mounted in your car. Or am I misreading something?