Is integrated Navigation System worth buying

GPS in cars is already obsolete.

I predict that before too long there will be a universal display standard for smartphones. In-dash screens will simply display what your smartphone sends them, and will be compatible with all smartphones (at least, Android and iPhone. . .Blackberry isn’t going to be around for much longer, I suspect, and Windows phone is kind of a joke).

Isn’t that what the ‘iBeetle’ concept car from VW does?

I gave away 3 garmins about 2 years ago when we were no longer using them. Smart phone exclusively now. I have found that the satellite signal is much more problematic than the cell. Heavily forested areas here almost always have signal dropouts and the cell coverage does not. Also, the most annoying was trips into Boston. Once inbetween the large buildings, at the worst possible moment, the Garmin shuts down and takes the map down too!! At least leave the last map up there! Anyway, have never had that issue with the cell phone. And they have cell phone repeaters in the tunnels too where the satellite stuff is completely shut down.

Also, I can use the walking directions feature for finding places on foot with my cell phone.

Cell phone stays with me no matter where I go- even someone else’s car if they are driving us somewhere. The Garmin stays in the car and is a pain to keep switching back and forth between them.

The cell phone has integrated directions where I can tap on an address displayed anywhere on the screen (google results, web page, etc) and automatically plot a course versus entering excrutiating detail on a questionable user interface.

If I travel out into BFE where cell phone coverage drops off, maybe I’ll regret giving away the Garmins- but unlikely…

@texases

Isn't that what the 'iBeetle' concept car from VW does?

No, it only works with iPhone. Android users are out in the cold. I’m talking about a standard like Bluetooth where any device can use the standard and send/receive information from the touch screen display in the dash.

I find our gps advantageous for a variety of reason. Even going places I know how to get to, when a little lost in conversation, it’s a great reminder of exit distances. I also never really trusted my speedometers on boats. It’s a god sent in unfamiliar waterways too.
Biggest problem is the relatively short battery life off hook up.
I agree that using it for auditory commands mainly is safer. I seldom even look at maps and except for walking in unknown neighborhoods, we often have it set on listed directions.
Right now, I’m too cheap to get tied into monthly fees for smart phones and find cheapest cell fee, iPod on Wifi and GPS keeps retirement income expenses in check when traveling.