Is GEICO decent insurance?

Some of us have had good experience with GEICO

One of Mike’s buddies had a bad experience with GEICO

As for me, I’m sticking with the auto club, because they’ve treated me well

And I’m NOT going to think badly of GEICO just because I heard some stuff on this forum

Regardless of state laws, you will get differnt opinions on the various insurance franchises depending upon area. We recently had a claim to repair our car. They gave us a list of three body repair shops that we did not have to get approval from to be repaired at…they would pay them directly. It made the whole experience very easy, quick and efficient. It just so happened that three repair shops were three of the most reputable in the area and were my first choices regardless. Does it mean that the repair shop both agency and shop benefit by the guranteed business ? Sure. But it also means the customer does too.

It pays to shop for the best insurance price. It is amazing how insurance rates differ in my state. Here is an example of differing rates between companies, although it isn’t auto insurance. I am president of a chamber orchestra and we need to carry liability insurance with a minimum of $1,000,000 per claim. I had been paying $501 dollars a year (the extra dollar was for insurance against terrorism). I was told that the state insurance commission set $500 as the minimum premium. After a couple of years, I did some investigating and obtained the same insurance for $191 per year.

GEICO screwed me badly.

One day I got a letter from New York State saying that not only were they going to fine me, they were revoking my license. I called them and they told me that I’ve been driving without insurance.

I called GEICO and they said that I refused to pay my bills. So they had cancelled me, with no notice, months before.

I pay every bill I get. I have never had an unpaid account. I told them that I never got a bill. If I did I would have paid it. They told me that I received it and I chose not to pay it.

I had to pay the fine, but New York dug that something screwed up and let me keep my license. Of course, I had no more dealings with GEICO, and never will again.

I’m not complaining about the post office but in our medium sized town, I have had a number of screw ups in mail sorting. I had my neighbor’s bank statement in my held mail on Monday. A couple weeks ago I got the bank statement from a guy a half mile away. Just yesterday I got two bills for the folks a couple bays over with the same house number (Fed Ex screws up too and Chem lawn got me by mistake). I’ve got to assume that some of my stuff gets misrouted too from time to time. I usually keep track of what bills have been paid and what should be coming but can’t always be sure. I know State Farm gives you several notices and a 30 day grace and I would hope a call from the agent after 50 years, but you never know. Back in the 70’s I had a gas card canceled and I swear I paid it. They reinstated right away but still was embarrasing. I’d pay an extra penney or two to allow the sorters to slow down a little and do some quality control.

I'm not complaining about the post office but in our medium sized town, I have had a number of screw ups in mail sorting.

An insurance company wouldn’t drop you (in fact in NYS it’s illegal) without sending out multiple notices.

Well Al from Rochester is either in New York or Minnesota-might be more Rochesters. I suspect New York, so either they sent out multiple notices and he didn’t get them, or . . . All I said is that just because something is sent through the mail, don’t necessarily count on it actually getting there. I just know with SF in Minnesota, I got several notices and a call from my agent when I let insurance on my son lapse after he got his own.

Well Al from Rochester is either in New York or Minnesota-might be more Rochesters

We have one in NH. He said he got the letter from New York State.

I live in Maryland and had Geico for over 20 years and never made a claim had a ticket or accident. I could never combine it with my home owner’s insurance (via Allstate) and save any money. Same with Allstate… my rates went way up if I tried to combine. When I switched to USAA, all of my rates went WAY down and I find their customer service superior to both Geico and Allstate. I’m not sure how you beat $73 a month, however, so it’s worth checking out. I’d be leery of a bait and switch, however. They may hike the rates after 6 months.

I just thought I’d update you guys. I decided to go with USAA insurance. Combining my renter and auto insurance ended up being $104 a month. GEICO auto insurance ad USAA renter insurance would have cost me about $95. The $9 is well worth the peace of mind, in my opinion.

The most costly mistake I ever made , is to not buy GEICO stock in the 70’s. I had the money for a hundred shares but alas no guts. Who in the world knew of young guy named, Warren Buffett and his a shirt company buying an insurance company?