Is a 2000 Jaguar S-Type a reliable car?

I’m considering buying a 2000 Jaguar S-Type. I’ve heard conflicting things about it’s reliabilty. Some people proclaim it’s excellence, others condemn it’s frequent defects. This car “seems” to be in pretty good condition… however, I don’t want to purchase a vehicle that’s going to require excessive maintenace… that I can not afford.

Can some of you car-know-it-alls please give me some legitimate information on this car? I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks!

Jaguars have a well-earned poor reputation for reliability. It has improved, but other cars have improved more, so they are still worse than average. The 2000 S type is “much worse than average” according to Consumer Reports.

People do not but a Jaguar because they want a reliable car.

People buy a Jaguar because they want a Jaguar.

If you concerned about reliability you must be concerned with cost of repairs.

If reliability is a concern I would avoid any 9 year old car. Past 7yrs/150k miles any make even Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura you chances go up significantly of having more serious and expensive repairs(sometimes described higher mileage maintenance).

If you care about reliability I suggest you avoid a Jaguar. The cost of ownership and maintenance on these cars is extremely high, and reliability is not one of their strong suits.

Jags are beautiful, but they are very expensive. A friend of mine bought a brand new Jag a few years ago. The car was in the shop once a month. After a year of frustration she traded it (at a huge loss) for a Subaru.

There is currently a post on the board about a Jaguar going through two complete sets of tires each year. This is the sort of thing you can look forward to.

If you have to ask about costs on this car, you can’t afford it. The same can be said for the other Euro-brands, too. It’s not just Jaguar. A Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Volvo, etc, of similar age will be a bottomless money pit, just like this Jaguar.

Sorry. Sad, but true.

I Personally Would Avoid The Car If Not Owned By The Original Owner And …

… that original owner couldn’t produce all service (maintenance/repair) documentation. Also, I would like to be able to speak to the service facility people about these records and this car.

Most of the car-know-it-alls on this site advise any used car buyer to pay to have the car thoroughly checked out by a competent (Jaguar mechanic) technician prior to purchase. They can let you know what you’re in for and look for any previous hidden collision damage that could cause problems. Call a shop that has Jaguar technician and see what a complete check-up would cost. That alone might help you decide.

A Jaguar is not for me. However, some people like them and are willing to take whatever comes with ownership. I have been known to like some exotic things that I have purchased against people’s advice (I own 2 Fieros, for example) and have never regretted it. It’s your decision.

One owner?
How much are they asking?
How many miles?
Why are they selling?
Are you going to do any of the maintenance yourself?

P.S. My brother-in-law owns a recent model Jaguar of some kind, but I never ask how that’s working for him. I figure it’s probably better to wait until he tells me. It’s a pretty white one and the finish on it is really smooth.

I wouldn’t buy this car as my only transportation. Other, similar cars are the 2000 BMW 5-series, 2002 Infiniti I35, 1999 Lexus GS 300, or a 1999 MB E-class. They are all available for less than $8000, as is the 2000 S-Type.

If you can’t fix it yourself, you will not like the way the owner of the shop welcomes you like you represent his life savings coming back home. It’s like going to Midas for a brake job and agreeing with everything the manager wants to fix. You get a great handshake and a big smile.