Intolerable wind entering car when front windows are down

From the YouTube video I just watched, there are two ways to set the climate control. 1. From the physical buttons where the radio is 2 From the infotainment system.

Most modern cars–and all luxury-level vehicles–have Automatic Climate Control. You select the temperature that you desire, and the system will run the heat and/or the A/C in order to achieve the desired temperature. Hence
 “climate control”.

+1
And yet, a cheapskate guy whom I know drives to my house (1 hour + on the NJ Turnpike and I-287) with the windows down in the summer months. By the time that he gets to my house, he can hardly hear anything, his face is so red that it looks like it will explode, and the back of his clothing is literally soaked with perspiration.

I have tried telling him that he will use less gas if he drives like a normal person with the windows closed and the A/C on, but he is bound and determined to never use the A/C because he thinks it will reduce his gas mileage.

1 Like

Just set the temperture you want and the system will take care of everything. Also even when heating you will see the Airconditioner light on because that is to keep your windows clear.

Odds are your IS300 has dual zone climate control. There should by a SYNC button. Turn that on to have the same temperatures on the driver and passenger side or set them to different temperatures if you like.

Edit: it’s all in your owner’s manual, well worth a look.

1 Like

See above comments. You typically need to adjust only the temperature control once you’ve set it to auto and sync. My ES300 auto climate control was great, very seldom did I have to adjust the temperature summer or winter.

1 Like

I did a test with my Camaro at about 75 mph. I don’t have instantaneous MPG readout but I would reset between the test segments. Best MPG was with windows and sunroof closed, AC off. Next best was turning on the AC. Worst was windows down and sunroof open.

1 Like

The drafts and blasts from driving through our atmosphere are interesting. When I’m driving my 2002 Miata with the top down the least windy happens with the driver’s window down and the passenger’s window up.

I think proper engineering for fuel economy requires that the design of the car keeps the air pressures close to the car body, rather than shoving them away, so when you open the glass that air rushes in and blasts you.

1 Like

I expect that’s the key principle causing OP’s dilemma. Manufacturers these days are forced by gov’t regulation and customer demand to increase their mpg numbers, and so they do everything possible toward that end.

Also here in Maine, lots of gravel around–left over from winter, from the roadside ditch, etc.

I have had pieces hit me in the face, so I would rather pay for a dinged window than a dinged eye!

I always drive with windows closed, habit from city driving to avoid, cig butts, litter, spit, and worse.

2 Likes