Airflow noise on 2018 Hyundai Kona

On the thruway, after taking our dog to the vet, we lowered the back window so she could get some air and maybe a little enjoyment . My husband was doing between 65-70 mph and as soon as he lowered the window I felt like I was hit with Havana syndrome. Swooshing, really loud road noise combined with a shaking, almost swaylike feeling. Pretty intense and had to shut the back window. Is there anything that can interrupt this airflow? A sort of visor/covering atop the window-? Don’t mind regular road noise with the window down, but this was weird. Thanks.

It is because of the aerodynamic design of the new cars. They expect you to use the AC.
Sometimes if you open both windows it gets better. You can try a wind deflector from weathertech or something similar. The installation is easy, they just pop in.

5 Likes

Thank you. My husband mentioned something but didn’t know what it was called. Will check it out.

Cracking open multiple windows, have to experiment to see which configuration is best, that usually does the trick for me. But w/newer car designs like yours, don’t know if that would be effective.

“It is because of the aerodynamic design of the new cars. They expect you to use the AC.”

“Cracking open multiple windows, have to experiment to see which configuration is best, that usually does the trick for me. But w/newer car designs like yours, don’t know if that would be effective.”

I find this really interesting. The engineers and designers who create cars would /should know about these things. ? Aerodynamics 101. or 2.
I really prefer fresh air to AC unless it’s 90 degrees out. Kind of turns your car into an office if you are expected to use the AC all the time. Then again, with all the bells & whistles I expect that’s where we’re headed.

I think it’s caused by placing the windows flush with the outer skin of the car, plus the boxy shape of SUVs and hatchbacks.
My current Tucson as well as my previous Toyota Matrix have this problem.
Opening the back windows starts a resonant flutter ~15Hz.
Open one of the front windows 1/2" and it stops.

I liken it to blowing air over a flute mouthpiece (or a jug!), which is a simple hole in a near flat surface…
Opening a front window disrupts the standing wave, just like a leaky key on a flute can ruin the tone generation.

1 Like

Nice analogy. Will try opening the front windows a crack first.
cheers.

You experienced vortex shedding (google it) All cars do it, the best way to avoid it is to roll the windows up at highway speeds.

2 Likes

Whoa.
Looked up vortex shedding.
My husband mentioned this is like an aeolian windharp -here’s one:

So an added bell & whistle, so to speak. or vibrate

The air from your A/C comes from outside and is filtered, dehumidified and then cooled or heated.

1 Like

Which is better for you and a lot quieter and the dog most likely will not file a complaint.

2 Likes

She’s just getting used to the “new” car coming up the road. no complaints yet.

Then you should use the HVAC system on the “vent” setting. You get fresh air that is filtered, but is not cooled.
And, your car will remain quiet inside.

1 Like

Thank you! Appreciate that.

If there’s a roof rack, adjusting the bars can make a diff. On my Chrysler van there are little markers stamped into the side bars that indicate the preferred position of the crossbars - probably for better MPG, and/or noise reduction.

2 Likes

No roof rack just rails, though I’ll probably need one for my kayak. Wish I could stuff it within the car with the hatch open, but probably won’t be able to.