International Road Trip San Francisco, California to Patagonia, Argentina. What car should I buy?!

4runner or pathfinder, looks like that’s what everyone’s suggesting.
Good point about the cat and lead gas, I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

Even though I am too familiar with kidnappings and ransoms I am still very afraid of Colombian and Venezuelan “rebels”. I plan on having Mexican license plates and a Mexican driver’s license. However, I know that’s not a great deterrent, but it’s better than sticking our guero heads out of the windows and singing the star spangled haha.

You might try for a Mexican Passport to match the drivers license and plates…All three should be the same country…Tijuana for 20 years? Well okay then, you are good to go! I thought you were the typical Gringo kid, liberal arts student who couldn’t fine Patagonia on a map…The choice between a Nissan and a Toyota will be close…In Mexico Nissan has a far greater presence…But I think Toyota rules in Central and South America. You should investigate that…You don’t want to be stuck for weeks waiting for parts…Make sure there is a dealership for your vehicle in each capitol city…Investigate crossing borders with the dog. Some countries might impose a 2-week quarantine, some nightmare like that…

Hardy ha ha.

Like hell they know anything.

Totally agree with Tester and Caddyman.

A Toyota Truck is out of the question because the local militia will immediately confistcate it and mount a 50 caliber on it.

Your girlfriend will be raped and the both of you will be killed or held for ransome.Sorry for the bleak outlook, but these are not the best of times.

This trip reminds me of a couple who were going to sail around the world.I ask them what protection they had in case of pirates. They both looked at me and busted out laughing. They disapeared off the face of the earth near Somalia.

If you really want to know what car I would recommend, it would be an 80’s Chev Caprice or a 90’s Ford Crown Vic. They are both very reliable and parts could be obtained thru Cab companies.

It’s true, that’s another reason I don’t want a truck. Like I said, trucks are a very popular target; my brother had his POS mitsubishi mighty max stolen promptly in TJ.

Thanks for all the help. I’m leaning towards a 4runner but I like the roominess of the pathfinder. What throws me off about the pathfinder is that it straight up looks like a drug smuggling car.

Yea…trucks are probably higher targets…

But a Chevy Caprice or a Crown Vic WON’T make it…They’ll do find in the city…but once outside the city…MANY MANY roads are dirt/mud. And you’d be hard pressed to find a NON-TRUCK traveling those roads…There’s a reason for that. Also a crown vic or Caprice will probably stand out more as “Hey…I’m a Gringo” then any other car. You want a vehicle that is “COMMON”. Toyota’s and Nissan’s are plentiful.

Lose the vehicle and the dog (use public transportation like the natives do) and this trip suddenly looks MUCH better…

Why not turn north, drive the Alcan Highway to Alaska, then come back through the Canadian Rockies. You will skip the threats of criminal attacks, see more dramatic scenery, avoid the tropical diseases, and have a chance of survival.

Lose the vehicle and the dog (use public transportation like the natives do) and this trip suddenly looks MUCH better…

Probably a LOT safer and better all around. Even in the cities…Drivers in Chile and Columbia make American drivers look like 90yo grand mothers.

haha yeah, I’m definitely not taking a crown vic down there, hell I wouldn’t take a crown vic into TJ haha.

I’ve definitely thought about walking/public transport combo, but the bus doesn’t stop for a photo opp. Also, I really enjoy driving.

I grew up driving in Tijuana; aggro drivers are not a big deal.
Here’s what I’ve learned about driving in places like Tijuana or Mexico City: Don’t be the sheep, be the sheppard. Look at people while they’re driving and anticipate their actions based off of the information available.

If you do, you will probably be paying tenencia on it.

I’m sorry to hear that, I have had similar experiences as well. It is something that I am aware of, and it does scare me, but it’s a big world out there. Obviously, I’m going to be as safe as I can, but you can’t not do something out of fear. That’s how “they” win… whoever they is haha.

I moved to the US in 2008. Not ignoring it. Although, you should know that in the U.S. there are approximately 30,000 gun related deaths every year. Mexico is closer to 15,000 in the bloodiest year (2010, let’s hope it get’s better soon… and fast.). I can personally attest to the major flaws of the mexican government and its people, however, we cannot pretend that we, as americans, are not an extremely bellicose society.

hehe I agree with the above

interesting, I’m putting it on the list. Thanks!

Also check out Tim Cahill’s book ‘Road Fever’ which gives a lot of detail on logistics for that trip.

Please do not take Bruno along. If you get into trouble and get killed, Bruno would be orphaned. I am anxious just thinking about abandoned Bruno.

A lot of people mention a Toyota Pickup. I wouldn’t suggest one with an standard cab. It’s tough to take cat naps in the passenger seat of a regular pickup because it doesn’t recline unless you move it forward, then your thighs are in your chest and your knees are banging against the glove compartment. As a veteran of many, many, many, many, many cross-continental road trips, I would suggest a 4-Runner over a pickup. I don’t know if you’ll find one in the States, but the Hilux has two rows of seats four doors and a shortened bed. They’re all over eastern Europe and the middle east. We called them ‘FOB-Hoppers’ in Iraq and they withstood the abuse and misuse of a typical nutty Cavalry Trooper. They’ll blend in well with the local vehicles.