International harvester engin swap

I have an International Scout 800 B with an in-line 6 engin. It’s strong but not fast at all. A friend of mine has a 345 V8 from a 72 scout 2 that he will give me cheep.
My question is:
How do I know if the motor will bolt up to my transmission?
I’ll be doing this in the driveway so I really don’t want to take it apart and have it not work.

Maybe your friend has the bell housing for the V-8. If so you don’t have a problem mating the transmission. There may be some other inconsistancies in the swap of course.

You might want to check and see which axles you have, IIRC the V8 models had beefier axles to handle the extra torque of the V8

I’m curious as to why a larger engine is wanted. The inline 6s, both Jeep/AMC engines, were likely the best engines ever offered in early Scouts and the 345 V-8 doesn’t seem to have been an option on the early models. The V-8s offered were the 266 and 304.

1 Like

I can understand the want of the V8 but if it was me I would keep the Scout as original as possible and take my time putting it back close to new appearance. A full restoration would be costly but would that be nice.

2 Likes

Just a guess, but the OP may find it difficult to keep up w/modern day traffic and feel driving that way is a little unsafe.

The 6-cyl engine was available on the Scout 800 and for a short while, the 800A. It was not offered on the 800B at all. If the Scout has the I-6, someone put it in. Maybe they replaced an original I-4.

The original Scout has developed a cult following and I believe that the first series was only offered with the half V-8-slant 4 engines. I would guess that an I-H V-8 would be a cinch to install but the gear ratios wouldn’t allow much use of the additional power of the V-8. Somewhere in the early years I-H installed the I-6 engine that was shared with AMC and it was totally adequate for the truck. The later larger model was a flop as was the Travelall. My experience with those early models was limited and my only source on their specifications is google. The earliest models shared a drive train with Jeeps and used those slant 4 engines. The 390 split was a monsterous 4 cylinder. I became somewhat tallented at repairing the front ends and front hubs used on the Scouts and Jeeps and had several shops refer their customers to me for that work.

Here are a few problems. Scout 800 has 2 frames. The v8 frame has front cross member moved forward to clear balancer and body mounts are 2” higher so the motor fits.

2 Likes

4 years late . Swap is done , canceled or still setting in driveway .

1 Like

A great example of how Sep '16 could be read as Sep 16…

3 Likes

Welcome to the site Cpdad93.

One of the confusing attributes of this site is the date fields. As texases noted, it’s easy to think a post from Sep '16 was made a few weeks ago.

Many of us have made that mistake.

I am no Scout expert but Wikipedia says of the 800B that late in 1970 a Sno-Star package was offered, but only with the 6 cylinder engine.

It probably takes a few years since the number of us that know this is a truck and not a tractor is limited. That’s all I know though, unless interested in colors.

I had a '73 Scout II (I think it was a '73- maybe a '77?) for a bit, and debated putting a V8 in it. Turns out mine just had a bent pushrod, and was an easy fix- so I didn’t put too much effort into researching the V8. Bought a house without much parking and had to sell it. I do miss it sometimes, though.

Speaking of houses and parking . . .

there’s a guy at work who’s still renting

Instead of saving money for a down payment, he keeps buying vehicles

We’ve been telling him maybe he should sell most of his cars, and then he might be a lot closer to getting that down payment together . . .

anyways, his cars far outnumber his allotted parking space(s)

Every evening, he has to shuffle cars around on the street, to avoid getting parking tickets. he even has to park some of his vehicles on other streets and walk back a long way to his apartment

2 Likes

I had a 72 Scout, thatV8 was a bit of a dog, most of my co-workers had Blazers, much better. The first generation Broncos were not highly regarded (I don’t know why). But now fetch high prices.

2 Likes

4 years late for one poster, 4 years early for the next person interested in this project.

Did you inform the moderator of your frustration in the timing of Scout projects?

2 Likes

Still sitting in the driveway.
The motor my buddy had went to a different project of his. I got a little frustrated and moved on to a little Harley ironhead I came across that needed some love. Got it running and have had a great time with it. Then ran into some daily driver issues that took all my money.
I still have the scout but it is on hold. I will get back to it but you know how life can be sometimes.

1 Like

VOLVO-V70 will tell you that you are 5 years late on your project, he is the town crier. I have an old Dodge in my garage that I bought in 1989 that I have never touched, some people would have a problem with that.

2 Likes