Intermittent turn signal problem

The turn signals on my 2000 Chevy Malibu have started to act up. Every couple of days, not weather dependent, they stop working. If I turn on the hazard flashers for a couple of seconds, and then try the turn signals, they work again. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

This may be related to this recall.

Make : CHEVROLET Model : MALIBU Year : 2000
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr’s Report Date : AUG 27, 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V327000 EA02037
NHTSA Action Number: EA02037
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HAZARD FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS:SWITCH
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 670740

Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE HAZARD WARNING SWITCHES THAT MAY EXPERIENCE SOLDER JOINT CRACKING CAUSED BY RAPID TEMPERATURE TRANSITIONS AND THE SOLDERING PROCESS. IF SOLDER JOINT CRACKING OCCURS AND RESULTS IN AN OPEN CIRCUIT, THE TURN SIGNALS/HAZARD LAMPS BECOME INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE.

Consequence:
WHEN THE TURN SIGNALS ARE INOPERATIVE, THE DRIVER CANNOT USE THEM TO SIGNAL INTENT TO TURN THAT COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HAZARD WARNING SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.

Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03043. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION?S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

The turn signal/multifunction switch for my 2000 Blazer cost $200 not counting labor, so the recall is worth checking out. A Chevrolet dealership can check your Malibu for recalls if you provide the Vin number.

Good luck,

Ed B.

Wow!

stessier,

Ed. B. just did you a favor.

If your car is covered by this recall, then Ed B. just did you a huge favor and saved you a ton of money and possibly a lot of hassles.

Nice job Ed!

Yes he did… Thanks edb, I am following up with Chevrolet.

Let us know how things turn out. The recall had been already done on my 2000 Blazer so I had to eat the repair. Hope you have better luck.

Ed B.