Intermittent loss of power

I heard a problem today (4-6-2013) that I share. My 16 year old Cavalier is losing power when I am driving, but the speedometer cable is not broken. The only thing not working for sure is the fuel indicator—I’m watching the mileage. This is the best car I have ever owned in terms of running reliably with few needed repairs. For instance, I have the original clutch, it gets better than projected miles/gallon and the air conditioner has been my most expensive repair. The original 40,000 mile tires lasted safely for more than 60,000 miles. I have driven it back and forth from PA to AZ at least 4 times with no breakdowns. At 240,000 mi. it still was going strong until it developed this intermittent power losing thing. Any ideas?

@97chevvycav
You’ll be much more likely to get responses if you post your question in the section for “repair and maintenance”. Look just above the title of your thread to find “Topic Index”. Click that, select repair and maintenance, and then start a new thread by clicking on the red box at the right “ask a question”.