Ikea is getting into the autonomous vehicle business?

I heard on the news the other day that the Ikea store is getting into the autonomous vehicle business.

Not to worry. Anybody who buys one will never get the thing assembled! :rofl:

4 Likes

I just looked at the Ikea website press release information and they mention transitioning to EV for home delivery.

They will need a several hundred mile range between charges. There is about 50 miles between each of three IKEAs in my metro area. They would have to make several deliveries and get back to home base every day for recharge. IMO, they need at least a 300 mile range and maybe a 500 mile range to make this work. Maybe this much battery isn’t a problem for a box truck, but it certainly would be expensive.

The goal is to have 25 percent of deliveries made in Los Angeles and New York City be by electric powered vehicles before 2020. Amsterdam, Paris, and Shanghai are the other cities for this project.

I don’t have a problem with that as long as they have bells on for the blind but tend to smell a bunch of millions in grant money.

Not to hijack the thread but I just thought about those folks in Cali that couldn’t get out of their garage to flee the fires because the power was out. What if their electric car wasn’t charged?

Good reason th keep the EV charged.