Ignition Locked up

Occassionally I can’t get the key to turn in the ignition switch of the 1990 Taurus. After repeatedly trying, the key will finally turn and the car runs fine, as usual. But, it’s bothersome, and a bit frightening when I’m miles from home. What can be done to fix it?

You may have to change the key cylinder or the ignition switch. Meantime, try turning the steering wheel as you attempt to turn the key on.

Will it not turn at all, or turn part way? The lock is easy to change. Get a look at a repair manual in the library or take it to a lock smith.

The least expensive way to go is to replace the ignition lock while it can still be turned. A new lock cylinder is about $20. Any half-way mechanic can change it. Here are the instructions http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c15280063b41 If changing the lock cylinder doesn’t fix it, change the ignition switch. A better mechanic will need to do that. The instructions for that are at the same site.

I messed up trying to thank you in the “tags”. Your help is appreciated.

I messed up trying to thank you in the “tags”. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions and directions. The new part is ordered and will soon be on the way. If I can’t have a new shiny car, I will at least have new shiny keys.