Ignition coil quality

I recently had an ignition coil replaced on my 2009 mazda cx7.

I found out that it fairly easy to replace myself.

I want to buy one before the next one goes bad.

However, I have found a very wide discrepancy in prices on those coils.

From $50 for a set of 4 to $71 for a single.

Are there brands which are better?

I also need to know how the cylinders are numbered.

Like which is the cylinder is closest to the radiator etc.

I understand the firing order is 1-3-4-2

Thanks.

Why buy something you may never need ? And if you do just get one from your local parts house that way if it is bad all you to do is go back and exchange it.

1 Like

The one I replaced failed at 106K miles.

The others will eventually fail, so having a spare seems prudent.

I assume you’re looking on Ebay or Amazon? It is true, there are a lot of super-cheap aftermarket parts available–especially things like ignition coils, ignition wires, sensors, fuel pumps, water pumps, etc. The sad truth is that more often than not, you get what you pay for.

I would avoid buying any aftermarket auto parts which are not made and sold by a reputable brand, such as Gates, MotoRad, AC Delco, Standard Motor Parts, Denso, etc. While I would never pay the inflated prices charged in chain stores such as AutoZone and O’Reilly, I’d also be wary of anyone selling a new part for less than RockAuto. It is probably counterfeit, or just a cheap knockoff.

1 Like

Thanks. I found a NGK one on Rockauto.

1 Like

I prefer Rock Auto over the local parts stores were I can enjoy the pleasure of returning over priced defective parts.

2 Likes

For this car I don’t think you could go wrong with either NGK or Denso. Those two are my go-to brands for electrical parts for my Subarus and Toyotas.

1 Like

Since it is a transverse 4 cylinder, they are all the same distance from the radiator. Standing in front of the car, cylinder 1 is on the left.

1 Like

Is this correct?

No that is not correct. That is the firing order, not the cylinder number. @oldtimer-11 is correct. 1 is far left, 2 is next, 3 is next, 4 is the far right. 1,2,3,4.

It shouldn’t. Wait til it fails - if it fails. We’ve owned 5 vehicles that had that type ignition system (one coil) with well over 300k miles and them and the original ignition coil. Ignition coils were more problematic with the older Point/condenser systems…But they usually are pretty reliable since electronic ignition systems.

The newer systems now have a coil on each spark-plug. They are seeing higher failure rates. Might because of the higher heat they are subject to. But the still seem to be lasting a lot longer then 100k miles. I have over 150k miles on my 14 highlander and still have all the original coils. My wife’s 07 lexus with over 250k miles have all the original coils. But I have heard of them failing every now and t hen.