If you're stumped for a last-minute gift

Well if you are gonna go all-platform-volumes on me… :smiley:

Then you must include the Ford Falcon into the mix!

And even the Falcon is more collectable than a Dodge Aries!

7 Likes

Don’t forget the Mercury Comet

3 Likes

Also, the original Maverick, which was built on the Falcon platform.

2 Likes

The Falcon name was dropped in 1970 but I forgot the Maverick was built on the Falcon platform!

1 Like

If it were a Subaru Commercial a golden retriever would be driving.

1 Like

Heck yes, if I came across a 60-63 Falcon convertible, wagon, or Ranchero…

1 Like

I am partial to the 64/65 models. I like the sharp-edged styling. Fairlanes of that era, too!

2 Likes

They continued to sell Falcons for a short time after the Maverick was introduced. Possibly to use-up excess stockpiles of body parts?

The father of one of my friends bought one of those end-of-the road Falcons for a really low price, and it had some mismatched interior parts. There was one part (I can’t recall which one… ) that was white plastic on one side of the car, and black plastic on the other side.

1 Like

I love the old Falcons and have owned several including a 62 sedan, a 62 station wagon. The 64 and later ones seemed a lot heavier. My friend had a 60 sedan with a 144 ci engine and 2 speed automatic. It was comical driving in the Sierras with 4 big guys in the car. 20 mph going up hill on the highway!

I did like the 64 T-Birds and Galaxies.
Of course if we all liked the same thing, there would only be one car company producing only one model.

3 Likes

The Falcon name continued down under in Oz. I think the car Mad Max drove was an Aussie Falcon. But I could be wrong, not going to research it today.

Yes, indeed!

1 Like

Aussies had some neat versions of US cars that then got changed over the years. There was a Mopar slant six modified for much higher HP. Would have been a BIG improvement over the 198 CID one in my Duster.

Edit-it was called the ‘Hemi Six’ and was a new design that US Chrysler decided not to use in 1970. 245 CID to start.

1 Like

I want my 68 Cougar xr7 back, So much better than a mustang imhop. If I had room for a summer driver I would buy one!

I grew up in the '50’s and 60’s and I loved cars. As the years passed and life got complicated there were times when I could have an old car along with the family hauler, and now of course my kids are grown, life has been good and I could afford to have a 60’s something, but I don’t. Because driving one scares the hell out of me. The suspensions and controls are sloppy, the brakes are terrible and the mechanical systems are simple, inefficient and harsh. A modern family sedan or “crossover”, the equivalent of a station wagon, is a much better car, probably faster, definitely safer, better handling and more efficient, and has about double the life expectancy.

2 Likes

+1, on all counts, but I would add that even the cars of the '70s had lousy brakes and handling that was… not so good. Even the comfort level of the cars of yesteryear cannot measure-up, in many ways. As but one example, Automatic Climate Control is far easier to live with than the HVAC systems from The Good Old Days.

1 Like

I’d prefer the walnut also. Maybe you can chose that, and stitching color, when ordering. I’m not sure they’d let me get very far into a dealership.

It’s no Rolls Royce, but I snapped up a brand new (leftover) 2022 Mazda CX5 Signature in late November. The 2023’s were in and it was the end of the month so I made a lowball offer to the dealer ($3,000 below dealer invoice, not MSRP) and they eventually accepted (after trying real hard to squeeze me for more money).

The CX5 Signature is the most luxurious and unnecessary vehicle I have ever owned and I LOVE it. I don’t care what other people think, it is super comfortable and I love all the new technology. To be fair, I have most of the same technology in my 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve so it wasn’t a big jump to the 2022, just some minor changes (for the better).

I have driven my share of older, stripped down, high mileage cars in my time and I am happy to finally drive something that feels upscale without venturing into the silly spaces of Lexus, Acura, Maserati, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa-Romeo, Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc. I don’t begrudge people their vehicle choices or their reasons for making them. I am very happy with my choice and, ultimately, that is what should matter.

1 Like

People who have that kind of money aren’t worried about a $495,000 investment. They already have hundreds of millions invested.

2 Likes

Bellevue dealership has a Landspeed editon black badge Ghost with a $589K asking price, with a bright yellow interior. One of those combinations that you’d love to have been a fly on the wall at the factory when it was ordered.