If only this car was still available

:wink:

You may have to magnify your screen in order to read the text.

8 Likes

The only problem I see where is a Nash or Hudson dealer where we could see one.

Looks like the Love Child of a Trabant and a Nash Metropolitanā€¦ with a grill only a mother could love!

Really, the ā€œspecsā€ read an awful lot like a Trabantā€¦fiber and resin body with a 450cc engine that runs on paint thinner (and maybe some castor oil??)ā€¦ pretty much the hallmark of the Trabbie.

2 Likes

ā€¦ and, IIRC, this faux ad was produced by the fevered minds of the folks at Mad magazine.

9 Likes

The name Potrzebie is a tipoff as it was common in Mad back in the day.

2 Likes

I was going to ask The Onion produced it.

1 Like

If you wanted to move to Moscow, you could probably get on the list for one pretty similar. Donā€™t know how many rubles youā€™d need though.

I donā€™t think the Russians are still building that junk based on thisā€¦

Even the Ladas look pretty conventional.

Dang. Then weā€™re out of luck. Born too late. What about that 3 cyl. job? Donā€™t remember the name, just the story of the professor fleeing in one.

Must be thinking of the East German Wartburg or the Polish Syrena.

Or could be a Saab or DKW from western Europe.

With the edible steering wheel and the turnip shovel this car was ahead of its time. The 5 liter fuel bag is a nice feature, the owner can walk to a gas station after exceeding the 60 mile range and buy more gasoline.

2 Likes

If Mad didnā€™t copyright Potrzebie they should have, but this doesnā€™t look like Mad. I think the borrowed the word as a tribute.

Yeah thatā€™s it. I was thinking wort something but got stuck on wurst or bologna.

Mad may have been the inspriation but itā€™s the work of an artist known as Cris Shapan, graphic artist who at least used to contribute to funny or die.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t ring a bell but I usually didnā€™t get the magazine after about 1963. Usually couldnā€™t afford it so had to borrow a copy.

It appears youā€™re correct. Again, the name ā€œPotrzebieā€ is a good tipoff of a spoof.

I must own one! I love my Schlump turnip excavator and the Potrzebie 30mm auto cannon!!

But, if I get hungry and eat my marzipan steering wheel, how available are replacements???

On a more serious note, while attending a parking lot car show in Arlington Heights, outside Chicago, two summers ago (a friend was showing his Corvette), we encountered an Russian grad student exhibiting a nicely maintained Lada, basically a Fiat license built in Russia with some components beefed up for rougher roads. He claimed they were okay cars and simple to work on.

When in high school a friend had a Lloyd 600 with a 2 cyl. engine set off to one side under the hood and peel off cloth top. It ran well but maxed out at 45mph and required a mile or two to reach that.