Idle control valve bolt seems to be stripped not sure what to do

Whatever kind it is, it looks stripped out to me. Were I in that situation I’d go to the hardware store & buy the other bits suggested above and give it a try, the cost isn’t that much. But I expect you or a shop are going to have to drill it then use an extractor to get the remaining part out. Machine shops do this every day, to them this problem is routine. You could probably do it yourself if you got room enough to fit a drill in there to access the bolt dead on. You’d want to use an extractor kit that has one of those drill attachment gadgets that makes a depression in the center of the bolt head first so when you drill it, it drills in the center of the bolt shaft.

Another idea, if you feel lucky, try gluing the bit that fits best to the bolt with some JB Weld. Clean everything as best you can to bare metal, then figure out a way to press the bit into the bolt with as much force as possible while the glue sets. Let it set up a few days. Might work. If you have a friend with a welder, that might work too. Weld another bolt to that bolt.

That’s the idle control valve. The hole is accessible but I prefer to remove it. I feel like it would be a job better done. I’m a bit OCD.

OEM bolts are not Torx plus. It does look like Torx plus the more I look at it on the pic but there isn’t any Torx plus there.

I can try to get another pic tomorrow, everything is back together and I’m driving the car so yeh.

I’m not sure what exactly to buy. You mean the 3/8 thing? I will probably go to a machine shop you say?

TP 27 is what Tester suggested , right? If you want this problem over with, no further bother, yes, the machine shop is the best method. Since you can still drive the vehicle, even better, no need for a tow truck. You’ll likely be amazed how quick they’ll fix this problem for you. You want a good machine shop though. If you have a trusted mechanic or a trusted independent parts store who has a staff that seems to know automobiles inside and out , ask them for an auto machine shop recommendation.

For heavens sake, go buy a TP27. You asked what the problem was and you were told it was a TP not a T. So then you continue to try to figure out how to do it without the proper drive? What am I missing? If you had a metric bolt and SAE sockets, wouldn’t you go buy a set of metric sockets? Or put a vice grip on the bolt to avoid buying the socket?

1 Like

Me thinks the OP is a good candidate for leasing a new car after solving this latest problem. Some of us just should not be working on vehicles.

1 Like

What you’re missing is the bolt is stripped. I just tripled checked now.

I don’t get it?

You could try getting a hacksaw blade or Dremel tool wheel in there, cut a slot, and hopefully remove it with a straight screwdriver.
Another possibility is to use a small, sharp chisel with a hammer and try to tap it loose by catching one of the inside spikes.

I don’t know how well stocked the tool bin is but those are just some base suggestions which may or may not work. I’ve used them both with success in the past.

I might suggest we lighten up a bit on the OP. Prozac for everyone… :smile:

2 Likes

I have had good luck in similar situations with this tool

and this tool

http://www.garrettwade.com/pro-screw-loosening-impact-driver-set-gp.html?SCID=W4011000&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkdHABRCHiZ2gs6yGh50BEiQAA91Wlgz06QSwJ_7RDw-ktEPNZ2jEV-BeZpuH7H9hRNtCXC0aAl9s8P8HAQ

and often torx bits get worn and dressing down the tip puts more meat in the hole again when using the hammer impact.

Give the guy a break, Tester. I am sure in your fifty years you made plenty of mistakes or bad judgements.

Looks like a standard T40 to me. Some of these screws have thread lock compound on them so I work slowly and be sure the torx bit is bottomed out in the screw before I try to loosen them.

At this point I would do as OK4450 mentioned and cut a grove in the screw with a cut-off wheel and use a flat blade screw driver.

1 Like

Do I make a cut on the surounding of the bolt or deeper? If the first option, that means I need a big long blade

Cut as deep as possible without cutting though the head of the screw. If you cut through the head of the screw it will be weak and may break off.

The idea is to transform that bolt head into a screw head instead. Then a slotted screwdriver will fit. Make sure you use a hefty slotted screwdriver with a blade snugly fits the slot and that is at least the dimension as the diameter of the bolt. Another idea, I’ve also used a file to file off flats at 180 degrees on a stripped bolt head, then it fit an open end wrench. I should add often times these methods don’t work. But they don’t take much effort or time to give them a try as long as you have adequate access to get the file or dremmel tool to it.

Here’s another idea. Earlier this year I had a problematic screw-headed jet that was stuck in my truck’s carburetor fuel bowl. I gtried and tried, wouldn’t budge. I took it to my auto parts place and they tried and tried with all the tools at their disposal , and they couldn’t get out either. Still I got it out myself by (1) buying a bigger screwdriver ; and (2) holding an ice cube on the screw head for 10 minutes to shrink it a little. Popped right out the first time that way.

I personally still think the bolt can be removed WITHOUT altering it

Use the proper socket

Use a 3/8" drive iimpact driver, in conjunction with a drilling hammer

But I seem to be in the minority :cry:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone’s disagreeing with you db. I’m not anyway. Just that the OP doesn’t have that tool your describe probably. So folks are offering up other ides using tools the OP probably does have.

A 3/8" drive impact driver can be bought cheaply at Sears. Haven’t been there in over a month, but I believe they still had them last time

No further comment on my part but will be interested in seeing the resolution.

I liked OK4450’s suggestion, but this might be a good application for a stripped-head screw extractor like or similar to this one.

You can get these type of extractors at any parts store or even at big-box hardware stores.