I want to make my engine fan roar on demand

I would rather much hear a Turbo than a fan. :laughing:

1 Like

You’re the first in my experience.

4 Likes

I don’t mind waiting for pedestrians, but people will step in front of slow-moving traffic without looking, if they don’t hear a car, they step where they want.

This is why hybrid vehicles “howl” now, to alert pedestrians that an otherwise quiet vehicle is approaching.

Wow!, Ricks vehicle operation ideas rank right up there with his mechanical systems notions.

3 Likes

This is not a new concept, hybrid and electric cars have been required to emit a warning sound for pedestrians since 2020.

A proposed rule was published for comment by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in January, 2013. It would require hybrids and electric vehicles travelling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The agency selected 30 km/h as the limit because, according to NHTSA measurements, this is the speed at which the sound levels of the hybrid and electric vehicles are approximately equivalent to the sound levels produced by similar internal combustion vehicles.[32][33] According to the NHTSA proposal, car manufacturers would be able to pick the sounds the vehicles make from a range of choices, and similar vehicles would have to make the same sounds. The rules were scheduled to go into effect in September 2014. The NHTSA estimates that the new warning noises would prevent 2,800 pedestrian and cyclist injuries during the life of each model year electric and hybrid vehicle.

Yes, a lot of people do, or take 40 feet or more to cross the lane, essentially walking down the middle of the parking lane. While I do get a little upset, it isn’t the delay but wondering how stupid the pedestrian must be to spend a lot of time in front of a 3000# or more vehicle driving right behind them. There are a lot if impatient, uncharitable people in parking lots. I don’t want to take a chance one is behind me putting a bullseye on my back.

2 Likes

Last autumn, I was crossing through a parking lot at the County Park where I do a lot of my walking. Crossing through that lot is the only way to access the Rose Garden and some of the other attractions, and there are no crosswalks.

No entering vehicles were in sight, so I walked across the parking lot. Suddenly, a young woman in a very quiet CRV came up behind me, and when she finally hit her brake pedal, the front bumper was approximately 8 inches from my leg. After I got finished giving her my opinion of her alertness, her driving skill, and her sense of courtesy, she needed two Proctologists for her next physical exam.

1 Like

For some reason, in my area dog walkers, folks just out for a stroll , residential streets, they walk in the street instead of on the sidewalks. Causes cars to have to swerve to miss them. Always wonder, why do they take that risk when a sidewalk is nearby? My only theory is they want to avoid close contact w/other walkers, concerned about Covid.

When Minnesota changed the law to require yielding to odes, kids seemed to no longer even check for cars. Especially on streets just off college campuses. You’d think for the money being spent they would want to preserve their investment. Then ear buds made it all the worse.

they may do that to stop the dogs from going to relieve themselves on other people’s lawns. just a thought.

1 Like

When I was able to run I used the street instead of the side walk . Sidewalks can be uneven between home property lines - vehicles can block part of the sidewalk - misjudge a curb to street and you will fall on your face - the slant of the driveway can be enough different than the sidewalk to twist an ankle - this also applies to walkers .

1 Like

We don’t have sidewalks in the immediate vicinity but when I had a dog to walk, it would have been hard to keep it on course. They have to stop and sniff everywhere. I doubt after three years it has anything to do with the virus.

You wrote: I want to make my engine fan roar on demand. Most engine fans operate on the heat of the engine coming on automatically they usually operate on full speed then shut off when the heat of the engine cool down. But you could find a veriable speed fan and hot wire a switch on your dash going with wires thru the dash. Just need to find a fan design to attach to the radiator. I would go to the dealer and ask their tech guy which one to get and how to wire it up?

You may be right. A while back there was a reality TV show where minor celebrities and entrepreneurs were challenged with a 4 week race across the country starting with what they were standing wearing and only $1. In the process of travelling they were tasked with trying to make as much money as possible. One of the contenders - a local coffee shop baron - while staying in a hotel he’d managed to deal his way into in the first week, came up with a idea of recording suburban sounds like lawnmowers & leaf blowers etc. for city apartment dwellers to either annoy their neighbours or just enjoy on the weekend. He sold the idea to a local chain store who contracted to stock the CD. Got it recorded and mastered in couple of days. Can’t remember if he went on to win the “race” but seem to recall the winner made over $1 Million in the 4 weeks.

Seems to me you need a truck sounds version. Vol 2 in the series.

Here’s a follow up article about the cd’s response back in 2000…

My dad had a horn that sounded like a sick cow on his 1939 Ford Deluxe. That would get their attention…

I believe it. I used to sell stuff at a flea market, and almost anything I put on the table would sell to someone. I sold transplants of what many people would call garden weeds for 50 cents each, big seller … lol …