I Ran Over a cement curb help

Hey everyone I ran over a cement block last week, now when I try to start the car it cuts right back off. I did get under the car to see if I saw damage,
After I ran over the curb but all I see is a filter type thing that has a slight hole. Please help any information helps thank you.

The best advice that anyone could give you is to take it to a competent mechanic’s shop (NOT a chain-run place like Pep Boys, Midas, Meineke, Monro, AAMCO), and tell when what happened. Ask them to put it up on a lift in order to survey the damage, and also ask them to check the integrity of the front end components, which could have been damaged by driving over the cement block.

4 Likes

we can’t offer much help with the little information you have given us.

best advice: get it towed to a shop and let them diagnose what is wrong with it.

Could be as simple as a fuel cutoff switch has been triggered, or as complicated as you punctured the oil filter and the engine is now junk (or a myriad of things in between.)

2 Likes

:eek:

Since the OP didn’t mention leaking oil, hopefully that is not the “filter type thing” that the OP believes to have been damaged.

In any event, as you stated, this vehicle needs to be towed to the closest competent mechanic’s shop.

3 Likes

That is your flex pipe in the exhaust, that you posted a pic of…

6 Likes

Could it be damaged?

+1
Now that the OP has posted a pic, at least the exhaust flex pipe has been damaged, but there could well be other types of damage that only a hands-on mechanical inspection would find.

5 Likes

If this is a modern electronic fuel injected engine, yes, and your flex pipe is definitely damaged and needs to be replaced immediately. The exhaust leak will confuse the computer’s fuel/air mixture calculations to no end. It’s possible the cat’s matrix was damaged too, and is now preventing the free-flow of exhaust gasses.

If you ran over something a week ago and today the car doesn’t start the 2 may not even be related. I assume the car has been running and driving normally for the week between hitting the curb and not starting?

1 Like

If the exhaust isn’t loud, the braid is damaged but not the flex pipe inside.

Don’t change it until the exhaust gets loud.

Tester

3 Likes