I got the royal wool pulled over my eyes

Agreed. I respect Oldschool’s opinions as well. We all should review a recent thread about why OPs don’t come back after their original posting.

We are not here to critique the OP’s English or writing skills or whether she rides 5 or 50 miles to work on her bike or render our opinion as to how well her college education is going. In reading this thread I see several incorrectly spelled words and “to” being used in place of “too” in the replies. We aren’t perfect either.

Thank you,the respect is returned,this is a perfect chance for me to apply my new “no argue” rule,you have the last word, orangevega you also have the last word,no arguing.

If a question is crafted in a way that makes it possible to follow and understand, I try not to criticize. However, this OP has given us something that is just about incoherent. Then she called herself a college girl. Thinking that she graduated from high school and can’t even spell “I’m” correctly (WHICH IS A TWO LETTER WORD!), just depresses me, and I had to say something or my head would explode.

I hear you Whitey, I will add that I know I dont spell very well.My current situation is agravated by occular migraines (I see a big bright blurry ball and I must look to the side to see the sceen)but I do have a dictionary right next to me so I really don’t have to much of a excuse.

Whitey, Oldschool, I understand what you are saying. I have been really tempted to let loose on some OPs that write as if they are texting one of their friends in junior high. I didn’t have any trouble reading or following the OP’s post, but I did notice all the other writing flaws. I just don’t feel that being mean or condescending to the OP is constructive. They are here asking for help and we are here to try and provide that help.

Hey Oldschool: it’s “so I really don’t have too much of an excuse.” (Big Grin)

While I do agree that being mean-spirited is not a good idea, I also think think that we can be doing someone a favor if we gently point out his/her spelling errors.

Consider this “college girl” or other young people for a moment. If they are constantly exchanging text messages that are coherent only to those of their own generation, when those young people finally need to compose a cover letter for a job application, or when they need to engage in written communication at a job, they will be at a distinct disadvantage when their semiliterate missives are read by adults who are fully literate.

If these young people constantly see and use non-words and bad grammar, they will lose the ability to be able to spell correctly and to use grammatical constuction in their writing. A perfect example is a cover letter I saw that stated, “I am responding to your add…”
The writer was responding to a mathematical calculation?

This cover letter, and its accompanying resume, were promptly thrown in the garbage because the job in question was one that called for a high degree of literacy. If someone does not know the difference between the word “add” and the modern contraction for the word “advertisement”, that does not promise great things for their writing skills.

Some of the other linguistic gaffes that currently drive me to distraction are:

“Alot” (I am beginning to think that nobody under the age of 35 knows that these are two words, or perhaps they confuse the two words, “a lot”, with a totally different word, “allot”.)

“Your” used in place of “you’re”. Again, I am beginning to doubt if anyone under the age of 35 knows the difference between the word, “your”, and the contraction, “you’re”.

The practice of beginning a letter, or an essay, or a post on this forum with the word, “so”. How did this ridiculous misuse of the language begin?

The practice of beginning a letter, or an essay, or a post on this forum with the word, “okay”, or the two words, “okay, so…” This is another ridiculous misuse of the language that appears to be very common nowadays.

“Break” used in place of “brake”. If someone does not know the difference between these two words, then he/she is going to have a lot (two words!) of problems communicating with others about car problems and other issues.

I could cite many other examples of contemporary problems that I have observed with the writing skills of the younger generation, but I will just summarize by stating my opinion that there are fewer and fewer reinforcements of proper spelling and correct grammar nowadays, especially for those who are not avid readers of good literature.

If someone’s existence consists largely of listening to rap music containing poor grammar (as well as obscenities), it eventually impairs one’s ability to speak coherently. If someone’s daily routine consists largely of reading ungrammatical text messages, eventually one’s ability to spell correctly and to construct sentences correctly will be impaired. However, if we can provide some gentle reminders of correct usage in the course of giving automotive advice, we will be making a small but important effort toward improving that person’s ability to write coherently.

Just as orangevega provided corrections in a bold font in his/her response to oldschool, I have frequently used a bold font for words like brake when responding to a question posted about a “break” problem. I did not state in my reply that the person was an unlettered fool for not knowing the correct spelling of the word, “brake”, but I felt that seeing the correct word two or three times (in a bold font) in my reply might perhaps be a positive reinforcement for that language-impaired poster. Then again, as a retired educator, I do still feel the need to try to educate people. As the old saying states, “You can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can’t take the classroom out of the teacher”.

Class dismissed!

[b]As the old saying states, “You can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can’t take the classroom out of the teacher”.

Class dismissed! [/b]

As a retired math instructor, married to a retired English instructor, I feel the “brunt” of grammar oversight. Fortunately, it’s never the observation or correction that offends, but how it’s done.

BTW, and about the only one I can get correct, I didn’t see “less v fewer” mentioned…WE always seem to mess that one up.
Like check outs that say in express lines, “15 items or less” when it should be “or fewer”. Walmarts seem to always get it wrong, Hannaford Foods right.
Fox News commentators and other entertainers, god bless them, mess it up all the time as well. The word “fewer” has vanished from the English language.

So it’s, less pollution, fewer pollutants; just to make us all a little more self conscious when we post.

That is an excellent point, dagosa! The misuse of the word “less” is another gaffe that is more and more obvious each year.

The only other grocery chain that seems to “get it right” is Stop and Shop. Isn’t it ironic that this Dutch-owned chain (Royal Ahold is the owner) uses correct English while US-owned chains do not?

Maybe, this country NEEDS the influx of immigrants on a periodic basis to revitalize our language, economy and appreciation for our way of life.

In the 10 years or so prior to my retirement, I was both impressed and amazed when I observed that so many of our students who were recent immigrants from India, China, Taiwan, and The Philippines consistently outperformed US-born students on standardized tests and in terms of the grades that they earned. In the last graduating class prior to my retirement, 9 of the 10 top-ranked students were foreign-born.

No, they were not really more intelligent. However, when their parents told them that they needed to hit the books and put in long hours on their studies, they did so, unlike so many of the US-born students in the school. When I would drive through the adjoining residential neighborhoods, you could readily see the younger US-born students out on their dirt bikes after school, and their older brothers and sisters would be out cruising the streets in their cars. Simultaneously, both the public library and the school library would be FILLED TO CAPACITY with our foreign-born students who were busily engaged in study groups, research, or homework.

The zeal to get ahead that characterized our ancestors when they first came to the US has been lost with so many of the later generations of Americans. I do agree that many–if not most–of the immigrants whom I observed were filled with the drive to better themselves, and thus, they usually outperformed their US-born peers. In fact, their essays frequently displayed better use of English than those of their US-born peers!

Semester just ended,well it ended a month ago. I recieved a “A” letter grade in my WRT 102 class. When something important to me depends on it you can be sure I watch my grammar and structure. I always make that mistake using “to” when"too" is correct.

My posts suffer (and the people reading them suffer) from my “its not perfect but good enough for a internet Forum” attitude. When my grade is on the line you can bet it is done correctly.

My writing Professor did not cut anybody any slack for poor grammar,structure,spelling. When the young want to and it is important to them they can write correctly (but only half the class passed,I wonder what that means?)

“When the young want to and it is important to them they can write correctly (but only half the class passed,I wonder what that means?)”

Most likely, this is an indication that the young people in question did not feel that the class–or the achievement of a good grade in that class–was important enough for them to put in the necessary effort. Ability is a wonderful thing, but having ability without putting in much effort does not usually get people very far.

I don’t have a dictionary within reach, but I frequently use dictionary.com. Sorry to hear about your condition. My mother was recently diagnosed with macular degeneration. Her symptoms are not as bad as yours, but she is pretty freaked out about it.

I see your point, orangevega. I agree that there is no need to be mean about it. Personally, it makes me feel good to know that as I grow old, these are the people with whom I will compete for jobs.

There are two ways to get rid of a “F” at my school,Academic Renewal (one time in a lifetime) and take the class over at your own expense,it sure motivated me.

I say, try to learn a little more about cars! Certain chain shops have a bad rep, but there are good and bad/honest and dishonest mechanics at all levels of the spectrum (I went to K-mart for little things for years, and was never unhappy!) and, even the best mechanic sometimes makes mistakes. I’ll go to the quickie oil change shop on occasion, but I don’t expect anything. I listen politely to pitch of the day, say no, keep a close eye on the work, and then check everything out myself before I leave. Cars are no different than anything else in life - investments, home repair, jobs, sex partners, religion… The more you know about the topic, the less risk you expose yourself to!

VDCdriver, I have been listening to rap music since 1983, and I lived in Texas during my high school years. I am not sure which is worse!

(Actually, rap music has been around much longer than that. If you don’t believe me, watch the opening scene in The Music Man. But I digress!)

I attribute my English skills to my parents’ use of proper English at home. I believe that is a much bigger influence than any other influence, cultural or otherwise.

Stay away from ANY of the chain shops,i.e Sears,especially Wal Mart!!Find yourself a good mech-Car Talk has several that they can recommend-most chain shops have children that they hire who dont know anything about cars,or they just got out of tech school,so their experience may be limited(though some new schools actually teach something!)As far as only being a college girl,that means you have the ability to actually learn about cars,or at least the ability to find somebody who does,I am a former mechanic,on cars,torpedoes,cruise missiles,who works as an appraiser in a body shop,but i still do all my own maintenance

I’m sure the OP has long since moved forward from the thread, however the subject is important to me so I’d like to add one more comment.

I support “writing across curriculum” (the educational sector’s euphamism for correcting writing in addition to addressing subject matter). However, the reason I commented originally was that the thread seemed to be taking a turn toward correcting the Engish WITHOUT answering the question. Using the academic context that would be analogous to correcting the English in a paper on U.S. government without ever correcting critical errors in content. Addressing the English is important, but the student is there to learn about our government. Ignoring the subject is a deraliction of duty.

In summary, it was my impression that correcting the OP’s English had taken precedence over helping with the problem, and this was a poster crying out for help. That bothered me. That’s why I spoke up.

magickkzl,

I have never felt more ashamed about being a female attempting to learn about vehicles than I have been after hearing you ask whether you should sick PETA on them.