I don't trust the Dealership...advice?

Hey guys, I have a question about my Accord. I hope I’m posting in the correct area as I’ve never posted anywhere much before.
There was some battery wiring recall that they said was an easy fix last week so I had it done. And then 2 dqys ago the dash lit up with 6 warning lights (ABS, Traction, Power Steering, TPMS, LDW and FCW) and a message that says FCW System Failed. I take it in today to the Dealership and am told it’s a bad wheel bearing and will cost $400 to fix. Does anyone know what the problem could be? They were not happy when I said I was going to have my uncle look at it this weekend instead.
Thanks for any advice everyone!!1512240581420857792866

That could be a coincidence. They probably found the bad wheel bearing after reading the data of the OBD2 code reader.Get a second opinion from a trusty independant mechanic.I found this video on how to fix the warning lights problem on a Acura…same as Accord…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NbdNXcbeA

2 Likes

A wheel speed sensor or abs sensor could trigger all those lights. It’s possible those sensors are embedded in the bearing requiring replacement.

1 Like

TPMS? LDW (lane departure warning)? FCW (forward collision warning)? Maybe, but doesn’t make much sense.

Edit: TPMS, OK…since 2003 Accord uses indirect TPMS which uses ABS sensors.

1 Like

I would have thought that except my uncle ( Certified mechanic) hooked it up to OBD2 and it had no codes. He is going to look at it tomorrow and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the link! I’ll check that out!

That is what they said. That a bad bearing will cause all those lights to come on.

No offense intended to anybody . . .

A simple OBD2 code reader will not retrieve abs fault codes

you need a tool which specifically states it will do that. Even better would be one which retrieves abs fault codes and displays live data. One person could drive while the the other observes live data . . . for example wheel speed . . . on the tool display

1 Like

If the OP’s screen name is an indication of the model, and model year of his car, I have a relevant question for him/her:

Did 1999 Honda Accords actually have a Lane Departure Warning and a Forward Collision Warning?
To the best of my knowledge, those technologies only became commonplace in the past 5-7 years, and I have a hard time believing that an 18 year old “popularly-priced” car has that type of technology.
:thinking:

According to the picture he provided this is a 2014-15 Accord

Okay…fair enough…but why would a newcomer to this forum–who owns a 2014 or 2015 Accord-- choose the screen name “AccordDriver99”, and then fail to identify exactly what he is driving?

Maybe the driver is a 99 model, not the car.

I’m a 1948 model, but I do not choose to have a screen name reflecting that ancient status.

:thinking:

1 Like

There are better and worser dealers, it may be inconvenient, but if you do not trust the dealer try a different one. We ended up dealing with a dealer 45 miles away, local dealer 6ooo miles on a new car and cel. local dealer reset the light then wanted to do $650 of additional work, tire rotation, oil change + whatever,then CEL light came on 3 days later. . Took it to the 45mile away dealer, bad pressurizing pump for fuel system leak check, and they had seen everything was up to date, no extras. We kept going to them and got new front rotors and pads at 14k due to pitted rotors, 2k past warranty as a goodwill gesture, scared to think what the outcome would have been if we went to the local dealer.

Sorry, my Accord is a 2013. 99 didn’t have anything to do with the year. My apologies on that misunderstanding

The wheel bearing is sometimes involved with the wheel speed sensing function, b/c presumably the wheel bearing itself is what has the magnetic marks on it which the sensor senses. If so on OP’s car …

It’s possible those warning lights could come on for a bad wheel bearing that affected the wheel speed sensing. Except for the power steering, I can’t see how that would be related to the wheel bearing or wheel speed sensing, but maybe if it is an electrical-powered steering system even that could be true as it may use the front wheel speed sensors to figure out how much it is steered and in which direction. So for the sake of argument let’s agree, all those warning lights could come on if a bearing failed and that failure affected the wheel speed sensor, which is certainly possible. Given that …

First thing I’d do a visual inspection to make sure that sensor remains plugged in, and hasn’t been damaged. Next I’d jack that wheel up and hand spin it, listening for any metal on metal scraping noises, tugging and pulling checking for play, etc. Next I’d return the car to the road for a test drive, paying att’n for any unusual sounds when turning in the opposite direction to the wheel bearing affected; i.e. if the right front is the affected bearing, turns to the left is when I’d be listening for unusual sounds.

If nothing unusual found doing all that, I’d begin to wonder if there really is a problem with the wheel bearing. If the problem is only that the wheel speed sensor isn’t reporting the wheel is turning, which can be proved with the Honda scan tool one way or the other, if so then maybe try replacing the wheel speed sensor rather then the wheel bearing. The shop might be willing to do that on a flyer; i.e. replace it just for the test, and if the test shows the problem isn’t the sensor, return the original sensor to its place, then move on to replacing the wheel bearing.

What wiring work was done? I smell a rat here. When that many things light up, I find it is usually a wiring issue. I’m suspecting they screwed up the recall.

The battery sensor recall probably has nothing to do with a wheel speed sensor fault or failing wheel bearing.

Recall 17V-418;

As stated in the initial notice, the battery sensor case mounted on top the 12V battery may have gaps that could allow for moisture to enter the sensor. If moisture containing road salt enters the battery sensor, it could result in an electrical short and, subsequently, a fire. The charging system indicator may illuminate in the Multi-Information Display when a problem is detected with the battery sensor prior to the time that a short may occur.

The dealer will replace the battery sensor on your vehicle for free.

The FCW forward collision warning and the LDW lane departure warning use a small radar so I don’t see where the wheel bearing have anything to do with this.

I wonder if this means that all those lights come on when an immanent short is detected. Maybe the dealer installed a new unit that is also defective.

The forward collision warning and lane departure warning systems operate at a select range of speed, Honda and other manufactures have chosen to disable certain systems when there is a vehicle speed sensor failure.

1 Like