I am so cheap:

The last time I took my change jar (pretzel container) to the bank, I got $454 for it. I conceded to the wife but I still believe I put most of that change in there. Prolly need his and her jars. Now I gotta go. Had a short list today but now I’m behind. Some will rejoice.

1 Like

And the last time I did I had some sliver clad eisenhower dollars, worth a buck to me, the lady at the bank said save these people collect them, so I did, now what to do. Went to trade in some scrp and the guy is like how about 600 solid sliver dollars, I am like no I want to trade it for gold, thinking of moving and do not want to deal with it. He had a few gold coins and we worked out a deal.

I called a guy that is selling a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba that I have the hots for. He will only accept Bitcoin for the car. Before i told him to forget it, i asked why. He informed me that the dollar will be worthless by the end of 2021. Takes all kinds i guess. I would love that “fine Corinthian leather”.

Wish I had bought bitcoins when they were 5, wife talked me out of that along with gm and alcoa stock when gm was like 8 a share, ried he alcoa but could not be traded at the time. I have a financial advisor now, 2% but he has been earning his keep. Saw a guy with millions in bitcoins but could not retrieve his password to log in and claim!

1 Like

I love those cars. As a teenager looking for my first car it came down to a Cutlass Supreme or a Cordoba. The Olds won out and I’ve been a GM guy ever since.

I bought a 1981 Chevy Citation and i’ve been anti-GM since, except for my '62 Caddy.

Heh heh, like the sign my boss had in the kitchen “behind every successful man is a woman, telling him he’s . . . .”

The GM stock got wiped out in their bankruptcy.

Had a friend who was a cost accountant at GM. His retirement savings were all in GM stock. Got completely wiped out and then he lost his “lifetime health insurance” that had induced him to retire early. The union negotiated some health insurance for their retirees, but the salaries workers lost theirs.

1 Like

Yup! Me too!
GM… providing Aversion Therapy is part of our business model.
:smirk:

In the spirit of the intended humor,
I seek out older cars with no evaporative emission controls, and follow them close enough to use the hydrocarbons from the EVAP emissions to boost my mileage.

3 Likes

Welcome, FM.
Good one!
I recall an oil well truck engine reved up because it was getting fumes from a well nexto which it was parked.

1 Like

Yeah we had a 78 Plymouth Volarie and never bought another Chrysler product since. Comes a point though you run out of companies to buy from.

I knew a guy who seemed to make–ultimately–really bad choices when it came to cars. Circa 1976, he bought an Austin Marina coupe, which was decent-looking, but fatally-flawed design. After a few months, the crankshaft snapped. Of course, the engine was repaired under warranty, although he wasn’t given a loaner car for the 3 weeks or so that it took for the dealership to rebuild the engine.

Fast forward about six months, and the newly-rebuilt engine suffered a second broken crankshaft. Clearly, the manufacturing of these components must have been really deficient. He was normally a soft-spoken guy, but he made a lot of noise when the second crankshaft failure took place, so the dealership gave him a really good deal on–you guessed it–a Plymouth Volare.

The Volare was decent-looking, even if it was very short on power, and he was reasonably happy with it until it developed the habit of stalling on the entrance ramp to the interstate highway. He was almost creamed by trucks a couple of times, and he then decided to cut his losses and he traded it for a used Caddy.

As you can probably guess, after that Volare, he would never again consider the purchase of a Chrysler product. IIRC, in his autobiography, Lee Iacocca admitted that the Volare/Aspen twins were really foul cars.

Sorry to say I have similar stories.

When I worked for GM, got spun off as Delphi and watched my friends and co-workers get royally screwed when Delphi filed for bankruptcy and then GM. So many of them had all their 401k’s in GM and Delphi stock. So not only did they lose a good chunk of their retirement and healthcare, they lost most of their 401k’s as well.

I never thought it wise to have all your eggs in one basket so the GM and Delphi stock I was required to invest as my matching got sold and re-invested in higher yield mutual funds at year’s end when I no longer had to hold it. Same for my retirement… pulled it out when I left the company (after 27 years) and put it into an IRA. Best move I ever made.

2 Likes

I remember counseling a guy who had nothing but Proctor and Gamble stock. I suggested he should diversify some but he insisted he was perfectly happy with what he had and past performance and had no intention of changing. He probably came out ok but not a good idea.

Never owned a Citation but I was vehemently opposed to GM after two consecutive lemons, one Pontiac and one Chevrolet. A 2000 Cavalier restored my faith in GM.

The only time I rode in a Chevy Citation was when I was a senior in high school, and the Army recruiting officer drove me to take a written test. It seemed like a typical car of that era. What was so bad about them?

All the other GMs I’ve ridden in or driven have been relatively trouble-free, from my grandmother’s Chevy S10 van to my '85 Buick Skyhawk.

I remember that test. Took it twice within a month. I still remember I didn’t know what a “dog” was for a lathe, so got that question wrong. I never hardly had seen a lathe in 20 years let alone how to run one. I was sure I was going to flunk and get sent to the swamp.

I remember when the Citation first came out. Both Motor Trend and Car and driver raved about it.

Thje very same Car and Driver writer who raved about if, flew someplace and rented one and complained about what a piece of s**t it was.

It turns out that GM had taken some production spot welded bodies and seam welded them before building the cars and supplied them for road tests.

Shades of the Royal Pontiac 421 cu. in. GTOs.

1 Like

Thought It was Car & Driver who slammed the Saturn Ion they tested that after waiting for the press fleet to come get it they ended up buying an owners manual and keeping the car for a year.

We rented a Olds Achieva in 1994 that even though it only had maybe 100mi on it that Olds felt more worn out than our 4yr old Mazda Protoge with 40,000mi. Unless Alamo did the break in going up to pikes peak and back.