Hyundai Tranny Fluid

I’m in the process of replacing the trans fluid on an 08 Hyundai Accent. According to the manual, it calls for SPIII. Normally this would be the go-to fluid in this situation. I’ve done some recon on this subject and it seems that there are several fluids that are compatible and even seem to be somewhat better than the specified fluid…Castrol Import MV ATF , Valvoline MaxLife, ATF+4, and Kendall Versa. From the little research I’ve done, The SPIII seems to break down sooner than the others.

I was hoping Transman could shed some light on this subject as I just want to use the best fluid for the application. Of course I would be adding a bottle of LubeGuard Red in the process. What is the general consensus on the subject?

There is a Hyundai TSB on this topic, dated 11/2006. You can read it here:

http://www.myhyundaiforums.com/06-40-016pdf.pdf

While it deals mostly with the procedures of changing the transmission fluid on Hyundai models in general, there are two statements that may be relevant to your question.

“NOTE: The 2008 Veracruz requires JWS 3309, Type T-IV ATF. Do not use SPIII.”

“NOTE: Use only Hyundai SPIII ATF, Diamond SPIII ATF or other brands meeting the SPIII specification approved by Hyundai Motor Company.”

These warnings suggest there is a clear difference between SPIII and other brands, and that Hyundai Motors does not selfishly demand that you use only its own house product.

My conclusion: You know what works well in your car. Other products may also serve, but why would you assume they might work better? Stick to the recommended SPIII.

I have to agree with Steve on this. You are following the owners manual for PM, good for you. So many people ignore the transmission fluid. The SPIII has been working for you, you should stick with it. Do you really want to gamble with the transmission? The odds will be against you and it’s an expensive bet to lose.