Hydrogen in gas engine

What would happen if I ran about 3 lpm of hydrogen gas into the intake manifold of my 4 cylinder Nissan ??
Advertisement says it will get better gas mileage, 45 to 60% better, have a cleaner engine and the motor will last longer

I will have to adjust the O2 sensor to compensate for the Hydrogen.

Let me guess.
Are you about to buy a “hydrogen generator” for your car?

Do yourself a HUGE favor and don’t waste your money on this pseudo-scientific scam.
Various charlatans have marketed this type of equipment for a number of years, and no matter who sold them or what they called them, they were all scams.

They don’t work.
Period.
End of story.

Your internal combution engine uses fuel–gasoline, ignition–spark plugs, and air–specifically oxygen, to operate. Atmospheric air is about 21% oxygen at sea level. The other 79% of air that enters your engine is inert and exits out the exhaust in exactly the same form it entered the engine. (OK, NOX formation during combustion happens sometimes too, but that’s irrelevant here.)

You can adjust the fuel, adjust the oxygen, adjust the spark, and that’s it. Anything else is bogus.

Save your money. The only thing that this device will do is fatten the bank account of the advertiser. It’s a scam.

The amount of hydrogen actually generated by these devices is so miniscule, the energy content is ALWAYS less than what it took to generate the hydrogen…

All of the above are right here. You can’t create energy from nothing. If more people had even the most rudimentary knowledge of physics and energy, crap like this wouldn’t sell. Regardless of the amount of hydrogen generated, your car will use MUCH more energy generating it it than will be gained from it.

If these things produced enough hydrogen, you can bet your sweet patutie they wouldn’t “waste” it on a car.

“The amount of hydrogen actually generated by these devices is so miniscule, the energy content is ALWAYS less than what it took to generate the hydrogen…”

If you cut off everything before the comma that would be correct.

You could run your engine on hydrogen only and use no gas at all.
However, where to get the hydrogen and how to store it on the car is problematic.

Gas prices going up = scams coming out of the woodwork. It’s a scam, pure and simple. Read more here:

hydrogen GAS? Guess if all else fails, you can rename your car the Hindenburg.

Hydrogen gas (dihydrogen or molecular hydrogen)[10] is highly flammable and will burn in air at a very wide range of concentrations between 4% and 75% by volume.[11] The enthalpy of combustion for hydrogen is −286 kJ/mol:[12]

2 H2(g) + O2(g) → 2 H2O(l) + 572 kJ (286 kJ/mol)[note 1]

Hydrogen gas forms explosive mixtures with air if it is 4–74% concentrated and with chlorine if it is 5–95% concentrated. The mixtures spontaneously explode by spark, heat or sunlight. The hydrogen autoignition temperature, the temperature of spontaneous ignition in air, is 500 °C (932 °F).[13] Pure hydrogen-oxygen flames emit ultraviolet light and are nearly invisible to the naked eye, as illustrated by the faint plume of the Space Shuttle Main Engine compared to the highly visible plume of a Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster. The detection of a burning hydrogen leak may require a flame detector; such leaks can be very dangerous. The destruction of the Hindenburg airship was an infamous example of hydrogen combustion; the cause is debated, but the visible flames were the result of combustible materials in the ship’s skin.[14] Because hydrogen is buoyant in air, hydrogen flames tend to ascend rapidly and cause less damage than hydrocarbon fires. Two-thirds of the Hindenburg passengers survived the fire, and many deaths were instead the result of falls or burning diesel fuel.[15]

H2 reacts with every oxidizing element. Hydrogen can react spontaneously and violently at room temperature with chlorine and fluorine to form the corresponding hydrogen halides, hydrogen chloride and hydrogen fluoride, which are also potentially dangerous acids.[16]

Any measurable increase in fuel mileage from the hydrogen generator gizmo is incidental. Cruising at highway speed with manifold vacuum near 18" the setup becomes something of a water vapor injection system which can possibly improve performance and mileage. But no electricity is needed.

A few parts per million of hydrogen will have no effect whatsoever, assuming the snake-oil device you’re about to waste money on even produces any at all. Pretty much the same effect as having a gnat help push your car.

There are laws of nature, that we just can't break.  We can't break the speed of light, and we can't get something for nothing.  

Those hydrogen generators and all the other magic things, can't break the law of conservation of energy,  People have been making claims from even before the internal combustion engine and not one has been proven to work.  (other than the profit made by the scammers who sell the product.)

“hydrogen GAS? Guess if all else fails, you can rename your car the Hindenburg.”

Like all other combustible fluids, hydrogen has to be handled safely. Experimental cars that use hydrogen as a fuel have a fuel cell that will safely store it until it is needed. These experimental vehicles will provide guidance for the auto manufacturers when hydrogen becomes an economically attractive fuel.

“There are laws of nature, that we just can’t break. We can’t break the speed of light”

Mark my words. One day our current understanding of the speed of light - both its nature and our relation to it in terms of movement in time & space will go the way of geocentric universes, flat earths, and phlogiston.

Which is not to say that these hydrogen generators will do anything of use.

“Those hydrogen generators …, can’t break the law of conservation of energy,”

They don’t have too to work. I’m not saying that they do work, in fact i am highly doubtful that they do, but there is a theoretical way that they can return more energy to the engine than they use. This is only possible if they somehow increase the efficiency of the gasoline.

cont.

If they cause the flame front to move faster, increasing the amount of fuel burned in the power cycle and less in the exhaust stream, then they would work. I don’t think that they actually do that, but then I haven’t tried one of these and I don’t intend to unless there are credible sources that endorse them.

99.8% of the gasoline burns during the power cycle now…That’s a blind ally…I remember once I built a crude hydrogen generator to blow up some party balloons…I used a 2 qt mason jar, a little vinegar, a 5 amp battery charger…I captured the gas (all of it) into a balloon. It took a couple of hours to fill it…Yes, the balloon was very buoyant, much better than helium…But there was a little problem…The hydrogen / oxygen mixture was explosive…very dangerous…Now PURE hydrogen is not so bad, it burns like natural gas…But when mixed with oxygen, it explodes with considerable force…

But a balloon full in 2 or 3 hours, that’s not going to move you very far down the road…

99.8% of the gasoline burns during the power cycle now…

Trying not to sound defensive here, but where did you get that figure? Its a lot higher than figures I’ve seen, admittedly in the past.