CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Hydrogen fuel kits

Do they work? Which is the best one to buy? Does it effect the running of my F150 pickup? Any drawbacks?

One drawback - they’re a complete waste of money! Do they make hydrogen? yes, you can too with a battery and two wires. Do they save gas? No, even if the power they take from the engine was 100% efficient in making hydrogen, you only get about 20% of the power back when you burn the hydrogen, the other 80% is lost to heat, either through the radiator or out the exaust pipe. Save your money.

They are completely worthless and might even mess up your engine. Avoid!

Here’s a list of devices that don’t work:

I’ll have Spam and eggs and Spam, Spam, Spam…

Everything about that scam, we did in high-school physics class and believe me, it has not gotten any better. It works but it takes more energy than it gives back. Always has always will.