How to retain top screen functionality after installing aftermarket head unit

So I have a 2014 Honda Accord and I’ve found myself doing hobbies on the car lately. My last endeavor didn’t turn out as expected. I installed a Kenwood double din head unit (no nav) and to my surprise I found myself losing all functionality to my original stock screen. The stock monitor basically showed my current MPG etc/plus music.

My main Q is there a way to have the top monitor track the MPG as usual while the aftermarket handles all my music entertainment?

Did you cut any wires at all when installing the new unit? Your answer may answer your original question.

I am pretty sure that screen is wired/driven by the head unit. I think the only way you are going to regain function of the screen is to reinstall the stock head unit. You might make a call to crutchfield maybe they know a work around.

On most new cars the head unit is more than just that and runs bunch of other computer stuff, from gas mileage to AC control.

On my Mazda, there was an interface made by PAC that I hocked up between the new unit and the car connector to retain all these functions. You should look on crutchfield.com and see what in particular they suggest for your car.

Maybe since it is a 2014 model, it might be a while for them to develop the interface. Also, wiring these is a bit more involved and I hope you haven’t sliced into your original wiring and have used an adapter.

MOST newer vehicles can NOT be played with as you are finding out. An expensive experiment.

So, out of curiosity I checked and if your Accord is a sedan with 4 speakers, you don’t need much to install an aftermarket unit, but if it has 6 speaker (and I am guessing a fancier set-up, higher trim), you are out of luck.

http://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx

Pretty much everything is, oddly, run through the radio on a lot of cars these days. If I take out the radio in my TL (which is actually just a fancy Accord), I will kill music, navigation, the climate control (because it integrates with the GPS system to determine the sun angle and adjust vent output on the side that’s getting more sun), the bluetooth phone system, the steering wheel controls, the voice activation control system, the OBD display output system, the backup camera, and probably a whole bunch of other things to boot.

Crutchfield usually has great instructions on how to install stuff in any car, and it’s based on them buying a car and tearing it apart to see how it works. Their writeup on my car is actually really funny - they bought one, tore it apart, and then basically posted something along the lines of “yeah, no, don’t even try, it’s not going to happen, give up now before you get hurt.”

Volkswagens can even be worse, with engine controls routed through the head unit…

Why would you go with an aftermarket unit?

Why would you go with an aftermarket unit?

Majority of the time it’s better sound quality. Also have things like HD audio or maybe adding satellite.

Its a 2014 so it has satellite, bluetooth and most likely HD as well. A high end vehicle would also have navigation and the backup camera built in. With the USB port, you can add just about anything else you want.

If you want to amp up the sound quality, new speakers and some remote amps are all you need.

Its a 2014 so it has satellite, bluetooth and most likely HD as well. A high end vehicle would also have navigation and the backup camera built in. With the USB port, you can add just about anything else you want.

Just because it has all the bells and whistles doesn’t mean it’s of high sound quality. I’ve seen high-end vehicles with the top of the line systems and sound like crap. But to each their own.

BTW…I’ve never seen a vehicle that has satellite and HD. It’s usually one or the other.

MikeInNH wrote:
BTW…I’ve never seen a vehicle that has satellite and HD. It’s usually one or the other.

My Lexus GS and my wife’s BMW X5 both have satellite radio and HD radio.

Both my Lincolns have both.

My Subaru has both and its only a mid level model. Satellite is included for two reasons, the first is to sell you a subscription, you get a trial 3 month subscription free.

My 2014 Mazda6 has Sirius Satellite Radio and HD Radio as well. It also has a high end Bose speaker set up and a big amp (hidden somewhere). It’s a pretty impressive system. Could I spend a couple of grand and make it even better? Maybe, but I don’t need the headaches of lost functionality that the OP is sorting through.

The sound from the head unit is virtually the same no matter who makes it, especially from the digital sources. The amps and speakers are where things go downhill. Many low and mid level factory sound systems use low powered amps and poor quality speakers.

You can add a more powerful amp and high quality speakers to improve the sound without having to replace the head unit. But at best, the inside of a car or truck is not the best environment for a high quality sound system, I’d rather invest in a quality sound system for my living room.

MikeInNH wrote: BTW...I've never seen a vehicle that has satellite and HD. It's usually one or the other.

My Lexus GS and my wife’s BMW X5 both have satellite radio and HD radio.

I haven’t looked in a while…glad to see technology change. A few years ago I was looking to replace the head unit in my 98 pathy. I went to Crutchfields site and it was one or the other. I ended up getting my repaired for a lot less money. I was worth it since it was a pretty decent unit (Clarion).