How to not get shot when pulled over by Police

Seems pretty simple, do not smell of marijuana, do not act weird and do not say I have a gun and start reaching for your belt. Jeronimo Yanez another police officer caught in a hard place, glad he was acquitted

It’s pretty hard to not smell of MJ when you do. I’d guess that wasn’t so much the issue, as compared to the gun. Best practice when this happens like you say is to remain calm, not do anything weird, just hold your hands fully in the air. And then at the first opportunity tell the officer you have something to declare, so that he’s listening carefully to what you say and isn’t taken by surprise. Definitely keep holding your hands in the air until after the officer takes your gun from you. If the officer does something during the process you think is illegal, you can ask the officer about it at the trial.

Yeah its all over the media. Riots on the freeway. Tough go all around. I do think the officer acted a little unprofessionally, especially where he placed himself, but I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the police. They have a tough and scary job and it does not help matters when groups chant “what do we want? Dead cops”. It makes every traffic stop all that more emotional which is not good.

At any rate I’ve been stopped at night (the same African American that investigated my Dairy Queen encounter-nice guy and very professional) but the guy stood back from my window so I always had to twist way around to see or talk to him. Dome light on. Hands where he can see them. No arguing or fast moves. Put yourself in their shoes.

He’s no longer with the police force, as far as I know. I seem to recall hearing he got fired

Considering his high profile at the moment, I can’t imagine he’ll soon get a job with another police force or sheriff’s department.

I have mixed feelings about this whole incident, by the way

Uh-oh, another “white hispanic”, those are trouble. The difference between the jury and the general public is that the jury got to hear both sides of the story along with as Paul Harvey used to say, “the rest of the story”.

I remember a bumper sticker from another era when hating cops was considered cool among the hip crowd. “If you hate the police, the next time you need help, call a hippie.”

There were no winners here. The officer was acquitted but has to live with this. The victim’s family has to live with this as well. Sad all around.

I have my handgun license. I have only been pulled over a couple of times at road blocks. One time was in a small town late at night. I sold some motorcycle parts to a friend that was a truck driver. He was driving through the state so I drove about an hour to meet him at a truck stop to deliver the springer front end that I sold him. When stopped at the road block, I handed them my drivers license and handgun license. They asked if I had a gun and I said I had one on me, one in my center console, and a rifle in the trunk. They realized quickly that I wasn’t drunk and sent me on my way. About 2 hours later on my return trip they just waved me on through.

Another time my dad was pulled over and my mom, brother, and I were in the car. It is very unusual that we are all together in the same car. Dad got pulled over and everyone handed their handgun license to the officer. He handed them back and sent us on our way.

I read about this case and based on everything I read he should have been acquitted. Unfortunately there are many other instances in this country where the guy was shot with his hands up walking or lying on the ground helpless. One officer shot a 12yo kid at a playground within a few seconds after exiting his vehicle.

Another officer from the same state had a similar incident the year before (only this kid was white). Kid was playing with a toy replica gun very similar to the one the kid who was shot had. Officer shows up and all he did was talk with the kid. never even pulled his gun.

Some people are too scared to be police officers.

4 Likes

Maybe most people lack the temperament and self discipline to safely carry a firearm but sadly many are allowed to open carry, many are issued concealed carry permits and quite a few are issued badges.

1 Like

The policeman that did this shooting did several things wrong, which leads me to conclude that his training was not good. He stood in front of the door, where he could be knocked down when the driver shoved the door open. He had his gun out and aimed when he approached the car, which he stopped for a tail light out. And, as several have pointed out, he was scared and lost control, killing a man.

It’s good he was fired, but the police department that trained him should be held responsible for this group of serious errors. With power comes responsibility.

1 Like

Whiteface - maybe a white hood would have sufficed.

Neither of these is a capital offense.

He told the policeman to inform him. He was reaching for his license, for which the PO asked. In retrospect, he should have held his hands up and done nothing, ignoring the PO’s orders until enough backup showed up to beat the %$&* out of him for not doing what the PO told him to do - at least he’d probably have survived that.

I heard he got put on desk duty and was getting separated.

Some departments want officers who do that. When Albuquerque lets a cop who shoots too many people go some rural county’s sheriff hires him.

That lady in Milwaukee would have survived.

1 Like

Sure things could have turned out better for the victim and the officer, but I am not up on what is a capitol offence, or just illegal, and how it makes a significant difference.

No no no. After watching a different video again last night it was clear that he first asked for the license and was given the license. As he was looking at the license, the guy said he had a gun and started reaching. That’s when he was told not to reach for it and that’s when the officer pulled his gun. He already gave up the license so what what he reaching for? And he did not draw his weapon when first approaching the car. Its very clear. I’ll agree he should not have been standing where he was and the second officer was useless standing where he was. He should have been providing back-up. The general opinion around here (and this was my old stomping ground) is that he was mis-charged and no way would the events and evidence support the charge the DA decided to use. Not unusual to over-charge someone and go for broke.

It’s a split second decision or you are dead and it was controlled fire although emotional so no way was it “reckless discharge”. The jury got it right.

1 Like

A capitol offense is one punishable by the death penalty. That’s how it got its name, a crime that can cost you your head. Usually only pre-meditated cold blooded murders are capitol offenses. Cold blood is the opposite of a hot blooded murder which means out of anger or fear. Cold blooded literally means killing someone you are not angry at nor are any other emotions involved, fear, hate, etc. Killing the victim is just a means to an end, such as collecting insurance.
Like a farmer wringing a chicken’s neck so he can butcher it for the stew pot.

Do not act like a thug. Thugs are dumb and do very dumb things. Got a thug mentality? Don’t drive or go out in public. Ever. I agree with the jury 100%.

Defacto township laws are very difficult to deal with. Why must our leaders be so timid?

Note that the NRA has been completely silent about this case of a legal gun owner being killed by the police.
Would the NRA ignore the deceased (right or wrong) if he wasn’t DWB (driving while black)?

4 Likes

It doesn’t make sense that you would first tell the cop whom you intended to shoot that you have a gun. Why give him the warning?

Insurance. The cop asked for both.

That said, I can understand the verdict. If you keep watching the video, where Yanez is talking to his supervisor, it’s clear that Yanez is destroyed that he just killed that guy.

The problem here is police training. Cadets and rookie officers have it drilled into their heads day in and day out that 1) everyone is a potential danger and 2) above all they must go home at the end of their shift.

We’re brainwashing these guys into believing that there’s a monster around every corner, and then we’re giving them a gun and sending them out in public. This would not have played out this way in any developed country other than ours.

This is quite possibly the most disturbing and repugnant statement I have ever read on this forum.

5 Likes

This has been sited as the #1 reason for most of the unarmed citizens who have been shot/killed by police.

I have a few relatives and friends who are on the police force. One retired a few years ago and over his 30+ year career on the force he only pulled his weapon once…and never ever shot anyone (except in Nam).

What I do like is the video record of these incidents. Boston is piloting a police cam program. Eventually every officer in Boston will be wearing a body cam.

1 Like

This is quite possibly the most disturbing and repugnant statement I have ever read on this forum.
[/quote]

Thank you, shadowfax, for speaking up on that quote. I was too disturbed last night after reading it to compose a response.

5 Likes