How to make any car.. ... "LOOK WET"

That’s where I have a problem. There are no high temp ceramics in these waxes, just compounds that contain silicon oxide. They may be great, but their name is misleading.

1 Like

I’m not a chemical expert…so I asked my daughter. She sent me this link.

In this use the word Ceramic Coating refers to nanoceramics. Which according to my daughter is a fairly new term used in Chemistry. And it IS considered a ceramic.

She sent me a couple more links, but were very very technical and I hadn’t a clue what they were saying.

Is the term Ceramic misleading? I don’t really no. My daughter who’s has a MS in some chemistry discipline from Harvard says it’s not misleading.

But from what I’ve read the Ceramic paint sealants are far more durable and give a better shine then other sealants or waxes.

It’s kinda like Synthetic Oil. Many don’t think most of the Synthetic oils sold today are real Synthetics. I’m very satisfied with them.

That’s a great link. I found this helpful:

" Nano coatings, or ceramic coatings as they’re commonly known, are liquids which, when applied to a vehicle’s paintwork, fuse with the surface to form a glossy, long-lasting barrier that repels water, contaminants and often UV rays. Their purpose is to preserve, protect and enhance the appearance of an unblemished finish.

Polymers are collections of bonded molecules. These polymers crosslink to form the nanostructure that makes up a nano coating. Through the transfer of particles, nano coatings bond with paint’s clear coat, becoming literally part of the surface."

So these are very sophisticated nano-particle enhanced polymers that incorporate silicon oxide at the atomic level, not some kind of finely-dispersed ‘ceramics’ as are commonly understood.

The other thing to consider is that the products originally developed are quite expensive and typically need to be professionally applied. Subsequently, an entire industry is spawned with inferior products touting the same benefits that can be applied by a 3 year old with a dirty dish towel and costing a fraction of the price. And if you act before midnight tonight, you’ll also receive a special gift…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Definitions change. It’s the nature of the evolution of our language and technology.

Lookup the word Computer in a 60yo dictionary. Compare that definition to today’s definition. Not even close.

Certainly definitions change. But I’ve seen adds for this stuff that makes it sound like ‘it’s like a glass shield’, which isn’t the case. But at least there’s a nanoparticle of truth, I guess…

Well I ordered some anyway and an additional buffing pad. I’ll try it. Maybe I can eliminate the glaze step and use the sealant, I dunno. Looks like the main difference between the consumer product that CSA used and the pro product that I ordered is that it is designed more for use of a buffer making the task pretty fast.

Mike’s link also talked about how important prep is, clay bar, that kind of thing.

And that would not be the first time or the last that a company mislead people in their advertising. Thus the reason to do your own research and determine it for yourself.

HOLY SH%$ @MikeInNH a MS in “Some Chemistry Discipline from Haaavad”? Good Lord All Mighty.

I’m usually not much of a “Cheerleader Type” of guy but…That’s impressive and honestly quite awesome! You must be very proud!

Not me…Daughter. She’s way smarter then I am.

1 Like

Yes, I got that… That’s why I said you must be very proud @MikeInNH

She is bound to have an interesting career with that under her belt ! Again, that’s awesome.

UPS is supposed to deliver my super duper sealant and buffing pad before 9:00 tonight. I’ve got two cars clayed, polished, and glazed, just waiting for the final steps. They look pretty good now but we’ll see. I’ll report later.

1 Like

Sort of related…
In the mid '90s, my school district finally bought some PCs for the staff. The computer brand was one that nobody had ever heard of–either before or since-- and I honestly think that they were made in somebody’s garage. The word processing program on these computers was also one that nobody had ever heard of.

One day, shortly after getting access to one of these computers (one PC per every seven staff members…) one of the words in a letter that I was typing was “internet”. The word processing program flagged “internet” as… “not a word”.

:angry:

I honestly don’t remember what year it was, all being a blur now, but I ordered ten PCs which were the first computers in the organization. The had three programs, Word processing, data processing, and spread sheet. I think they were around $2000 a piece. Before approving the order, my boss’s boss wanted to know if they were really worth it or not. Ha ha ha ha ha. Welcome to the new world. Of course after that I had to argue the case with the almighty main frame computer folks that had a lock on any computing whatsoever. They charged that I was trying to set up a distributive computer network. Uh, yeah. I won and it was all history after that.

You only won temporarily. This cloud computing crap is basically a mainframe over the next-to-impossible-to-secure internet. :wink:

Yes I understand that main frames continue to be needed and people to run them but back then the folks had a lock box on computer power. No one was allowed to do any development. That has ended, cloud or not. When I wanted a purchasing inventory program, they were just too busy with other projects but once we got computers we designed our own. So no going back to the old lock box days.

Back to polishing cars. I did get the Meguires Synthetic Sealant and treated both cars last night. I like it and in the future I can see using it instead of the glaze I normally use. With a buffer it goes on quick and comes off easily with a micro fiber. Now the only thing is, I do not believe it can take the place of wax. When I finished with the sealant, I finished with the Meguires Gold Class carnabu and with that step the finish really popped.

So I’ll continue my process of clay, machine polish, then the machine sealant, and hand wax. I don’t think the glaze is necessary anymore. So showroom shine in the garage with no place to go but looks nice.

I can only say - Ah…No

#1 - NOT mainframes. Any type of system can be spun up in the cloud. 99% of them are servers. In Azure cloud they are mostly windows servers. Most are VM’s (virtual machines).

#2 - They are EXTREMELY secure. They meet ALL the latest security standards. Even the EU GDPR standard which isn’t required here in the US. Several survey’s done of the security of companies own computer standards shows that less then 2% of all companies meet either Azure or AWS security standards. There are other cloud systems, but the survey didn’t address them. I’m sure Oracle’s cloud system is extremely secure. All data to the cloud services can be setup with the latest security standards.

#3 - Clouds are not just servers, but services. My first use of Cloud was with AWS - S3. Basically used to store secure documents.

#4 - Some of the lower-tier cloud solutions don’t follow the same standards as the big players do. They are cheaper, but may not meet the same security standards.

#5 - The security system of the physical systems rival a missile silo. Very limited Key-card and bio-metrics access (fingerprints and facial recognition for starters).

#6 - They actually do backups. Everything is always backed up at least once a day…sometimes twice a day.

AWS is the large player here. Amazon invented cloud computing and formed AWS services. Second largest (about 1/5th the size of Amazon) is Microsoft Azure. Everyone is playing catch-up to Amazon.

And to bring it back to cars…

Some of the services like On-Star is now a cloud based service. More and more companies are going to the cloud.

1 Like